This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0572 / 52°3'25"N
Longitude: -4.5841 / 4°35'2"W
OS Eastings: 222929
OS Northings: 243019
OS Grid: SN229430
Mapcode National: GBR D2.DKLH
Mapcode Global: VH2MX.HKD9
Plus Code: 9C4Q3C48+V8
Entry Name: Manordeifi (Old Rectory)
Listing Date: 6 December 1989
Last Amended: 24 November 1994
Source ID: 13056
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated some 300m SE of Manordeifi Old Church, on hillside above Teifi.
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Former rectory for which plans were made 1838-9 by William and James Owen of Haverfordwest for the Rev J Blackwell (d. 1840) but apparently not built until the 1840's to modified design. The original plan showed E side entry and S side staircase, but may have been built with entrance on N. Altered and extended 1847 by John Joseph, builder, of Cardigan for the Rev W Lloyd, the staircase being moved to the E wall and the entrance to the W side, a dining-room made in the SW kitchen and new SE service wing added. It ceased to be the Rectory when the rectory at Carreg Wen was built c.1930.
c.1840-5 former rectory in colourwashed coursed rubble stone with hipped roofs and C20 black brick stacks. Two storeys, roughly square plan Regency style with deep flat boarded eaves, 3-window front to N and 3-window entrance front to E. Raised plinth, band and eaves with overlight to centre and hornless tripartite 4-12-4-pane sash to floor left and right and upper sash of centre window over half-glazed door, 9-pane sashes above. E side is windowless except for long arched 1847 stair light in angle to SE rear wing. Two brick axial stacks behind main ridge and one SW gable stack. 1847 SE rear wing is hipped at NE angle with 12-pane sash each floor to right, then lean-to with first floor 6-pane sash and 12-pane sash, ground floor 12-pane sash, 6-pane window and door. Lean-to has first floor window each end, blocked to N. One ground floor window to left of lean-to. Brick ridge stack. Rear of main range has probably later broad S gable with door in angle to SE wing and two sashes above. Rear yard is enclosed by lean-to buildings to S and W, while on E side of rear wing is verandah on C20 timber posts. Two 12-pane sashes to first floor E side of wing.
As on 1847 plan, a former entrance passage incorporated into NE drawing room, which has elliptical arched S recess, 6-panel door to right and architraved recess to left. C20 E fireplace. Small NW room. Spine passage to stick baluster E dog-leg stair with ramped rail, moved in 1847 probably from S wall. SW dining-room remodelled 1847 from former kitchen.
Other nearby listed buildings