History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Lewis Merthyr Colliery Trefor pithead and headframe

A Grade II* Listed Building in Trehafod, Rhondda Cynon Taff

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6109 / 51°36'39"N

Longitude: -3.3879 / 3°23'16"W

OS Eastings: 303994

OS Northings: 191143

OS Grid: ST039911

Mapcode National: GBR HN.9NK8

Mapcode Global: VH6DJ.7RBY

Entry Name: Former Lewis Merthyr Colliery Trefor pithead and headframe

Listing Date: 16 August 1984

Last Amended: 1 August 1996

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 13121

Building Class: Industrial

Location: Located on the N side of the complex, the eastern of the 2 pitheads.

County: Rhondda Cynon Taff

Community: Trehafod

Community: Trehafod

Built-Up Area: Porth

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Porth

History

Lewis Merthyr Colliery was established in the mid 1870s by W T Lewis (later Lord Merthyr) as an amalgamation of the Coedcae and Hafod Collieries both established in 1850. The present buildings are grouped around 2 shafts sunk c1880 and c1890. By c1900 the colliery was one of the largest in Wales producing a million tons of coal a year. It was taken over by Powell Duffryn in 1929 and the National Coal Board in 1947. It closed in 1983 and subsequently has been redeveloped as the Rhondda Heritage Park. The site contains one of the most complete groups of colliery buildings remaining in Wales. The Trefor pitbank and headframe were built c1890. The shaft served as the upcast shaft for ventilation and was used for winding men and materials.

Exterior

A stone and brick pitbank covered by a wrought iron trussed corrugated roof through which rises a lattice girder headframe. Pitbank formed of plinth of rubble and rockfaced sandstone with irregular openings and arches to service tunnels, and curving sides of fan passage leading from shaft to fan house on E side. Parts of superstructure above pit bank are of brick, some new, but cover building is largely of corrugated iron on a wrought iron frame, typical of collieries of this period. Airlock doors and heavy wooden guillotine gates and knocking irons still in situ. Headframe rising through roof is of wrought iron lattice girder type with 4 splayed legs over shaft and 2 sweeping supports from the axle of the sheaves to stone plinths butting N wall of adjacent winding engine house; these connected to legs by diagonal braces. Maintenance platform surrounds sheaves with access by ladder up SW leg. Interior of headframe contains later steel plate air lock.

Interior

Interior of headframe contains later steel plate air lock.

Reasons for Listing

Listed Grade II* as a rare surviving pitbank complete with cover building, for having one of the oldest headframes remaining in Wales, and for group value in this important colliery complex.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.