This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4487 / 51°26'55"N
Longitude: -3.5229 / 3°31'22"W
OS Eastings: 294267
OS Northings: 173285
OS Grid: SS942732
Mapcode National: GBR HG.MYCF
Mapcode Global: VH5HR.WVFB
Plus Code: 9C3RCFXG+FR
Entry Name: The Great House (including attached Flanking Ranges)
Listing Date: 22 February 1963
Last Amended: 26 October 1995
Source ID: 13147
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located at the centre of the village opposite the Parish Church of The Holy Trinity. Set back from the road and bounded by a low rubble wall.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: Llandow (Llandŵ)
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Late C16/early C17 gentry house. Georgian refacing and re-fenestration, probably early C18, and re-ordered on the ground floor, later in the C18/early C19, possibly in response to the window tax (1695-1851).
Two-storey house, five bays, roughcast elevations to the front and limewashed rubble to the rear. Steeply pitched, slated roof, originally thatched. Three ashlar chimney stacks; two gable, one axial. Ground floor has central doorway with later door and hood. All fenestration has been replaced within the last forty years. Pair of large twelve pane sashes with horns to left of door, and one matching window on the right hand side (presumably replacing the earlier symmetrical pair). The first floor has five twelve-pane sashes with horns. The rear elevation of the main range has a lateral chimney to the original hall, now blocked with new staircase. Later fenestration and openings. To the E end is a one-and-a-half storey crossrange, aligned on a NS axis with gable chimney stack and stair outshut to W side. The gable end is unlit. Later fenestration and openings, with dormer and lean-to extension on E side. To the W end of the main range is a one-and-a -half storey, three-bay cartshed with limewashed elevations and slate roof. Three large openings to front elevation at ground floor level, all with timber lintels and a pair of louvred timber window openings to first floor. The W gable has a stone stair leading to the first floor with a square-headed doorway with timber lintel. Rear elevation is set into the slope of the garden and at first floor, a square window opening with crude timber mullion. The interior has a hayloft covering two-thirds of the first floor, with the western bay remaining open to roof. To the E end of the main house is another attached two storey outbuilding with limewashed elevations and slate roof, now in residential use. Later openings and timber casements to ground and first floor at the W end with central doorway.
Originally a two-unit house with direct entry. Masonry partition between the parlour and hall. The hall has now been subdivided to create a hallway and a drawing room. The hallway contains a new straight flight staircase. To the right of the hallway is the drawing room which has a large open fireplace with voussoired arch. To the left of the hallway is another drawing room which has two exposed beams with medium chamfers and hollow stops with fillet. The rear range is accessed from the hallway via an enlarged four centred stone arched doorway. The rear room has three exposed beams with medium chamfers, later fireplace and blocked up stair. The converted barn to the E has no exposed features.
Listed grade II as a good example of a sub-medieval gentry house given Georgian re-modelling. Group value with the parish church.
Other nearby listed buildings