History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sutton

A Grade II* Listed Building in Llandow, Wrexham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.44 / 51°26'24"N

Longitude: -3.5199 / 3°31'11"W

OS Eastings: 294459

OS Northings: 172320

OS Grid: SS944723

Mapcode National: GBR HG.NKBL

Mapcode Global: VH5HY.Y21D

Plus Code: 9C3RCFRJ+23

Entry Name: Sutton

Listing Date: 22 February 1963

Last Amended: 26 October 1995

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 13151

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located approximately 1km S of Llandow village and 1km W of the Llandow trading estate on the SW bank of Sutton brook, down a long private track running NW from Sutton Road.

County: Wrexham

Community: Llandow (Lland┼Á)

Community: Llandow

Locality: Sutton

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Monknash

History

Built by Edward Turberville, probably around 1580. Within the first twenty years of completion two further ranges were built to the N and W. The grandson of Edward Turberville, another Edward, became Justice of the Peace in 1660. His son, also Edward, was the final generation of Turbervilles to occupy Sutton. In the C18 Edward Turberville transferred his seat to Ewenny Priory. By 1720 the house at Sutton was disposed of. Documentary evidence suggests that the property was leased throughout the remainder of the C18 and C19 and was divided into two seperate dwellings in early C19.

Exterior

Rambling manor house of the later C16 of two storeys plus attic. Organic, picturesque composition comprising two main ranges at right angles. Elevations of coursed limestone rubble with some areas of original (?) lime render. Sandstone dessings and slated roof, evidence of earlier sandstone slate roof. Unusually intact and unextended exterior retaining almost all of its original stone mullioned fenestration. The majority of windows have square heads under flat hoodmoulds with hollow chamfered jambs and mullions. The doorways have four-centred heads and plain chamfered jambs. The SW end of the S front is a two storey plus attic parlour range with two pairs of vertically aligned three-light windows, steeply pitched slated roof with three rubble stacks, one axial, two gable. To the right is a three storey projecting, gabled stair outshut with three staggered two-light windows. To the right the ridge steps down to a lower, in-line, two storey plus attic hall range with one axial stack, offset to the E end. At first floor level is a three-light window with a two light window to the right, beneath is an Edwardian sash with margin panes, yellow brick arch and dressings, Edwardian door with fanlight over. The SE range returns at right angles to the hall with a two-storey plus attic range with axial stack and one large projecting gable stack at SE end. Two gabled dormers rising from the wallplate, each with a two-light window. First floor has one two-light and one three-light window with a pair of two-light windows beneath. Single storey gabled outbuilding with steeply pitched roof at SE end. The N gable end has a symmetrical arrangement of pairs of two-light windows beneath relieving arches with a centrally placed four-centred doorway, single two-light window to attic, gable chimney. To the right hand side is a steeply pitched single storey lean-to returning to a blind elevation with two large stacks, one rising from the ridge and the other rising from the left hand slope. On the right hand side are two small vertically aligned rectangular stairlights. The E end of the N elevation has a three-light window at ground floor level with a two-light and three-light window above. To the right of the ground floor window is a lean-to slated porch with the principal four-centred doorway set within, now blocked. The four-centred doorway has complexly moulded jambs with hourglass stops, sunk spandrels, and complex projecting hoodmould above. Remains of original stucco worked to resemble ashlar around the doorway. The N elevation steps forward, the NE (side) elevation has a three-light opening with later timber casement at first floor and two-light mullion to ground floor, the front elevation has a four-centred doorway to left end with two two-light windows to the right, unlit at first floor level, gable stack, SW return elevation (side) is lit only by a two-light window at first floor level. The NW parlour range has two two-light vertically aligned windows at the E end. The SW gable has a large projecting chimney carried on a corbel table with a three-light window at ground floor level beneath.

Interior

Floorplan suggests two complete suites of rooms articulated around a central hall, possibly to accommodate two households in a unit-system manner. Historic interior of strong sub-medieval character remains. All rooms retain dressed sandstone four-centred doorways with plain chamfers and a remarkable variety of decorative stops, additionally large broad chamfered and stopped ceiling beams remain throughout. Two original (restored) timber doors with moulded ribs and fleur-de-lys pin hinges also remain in the ground floor hall range. A fine dog-leg timber stair (ca 1600) survives between the parlour and the hall, with turned oak balusters of tapering columnar form and ovolo moulded newels with acorn knopped finials leading to the attic storey. Two further stone stairs remain in the hall and SW range. The majority of the rooms have plain plastered ceilings with simple moulded verges and exposed ceiling beams with hollow stops and fillet. The fireplaces are simple throughout, many unusual for their flat-arched plastered timber lintols. Much historic plain plasterwork survives throughout. The range to the NE was floorless at the time of inspection and undergoing restoration. The house retains the original A framed roof structure throughout.

Reasons for Listing

Listed grade II* as a remarkably intact example of a late C16 manor house.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.