This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4079 / 51°24'28"N
Longitude: -3.4877 / 3°29'15"W
OS Eastings: 296625
OS Northings: 168701
OS Grid: SS966687
Mapcode National: GBR HJ.QFG1
Mapcode Global: VH5HZ.HWK2
Entry Name: Cross in Churchyard of Church of St. Illtud
Listing Date: 10 September 1982
Last Amended: 16 December 2004
Source ID: 13258
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On the south side of the Church of St. Illtud and about 20m from the south porch.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: Llantwit Major (Llanilltud Fawr)
Community: Llantwit Major
Built-Up Area: Llantwit Major
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Part medieval, probably C15; part early C20. In c1919 the upper part of the shaft and a canopied cross were added to the remains of the medieval cross base, to the design of G E Halliday, Diocesan Architect (Faculty granted 7 June 1919), and in memory of Lieutenant Colonel Frank Hill Gaskell who had died in France in 1916.
The remains of the medieval work comprise the lower part of the shaft and an octagonal stone base with pyramidal stops, both shaft and base mounted on six square stone steps, diminishing upwards in size. The crosshead has, on one side, a representation of the Crucifixion and, on the other, a representation of St Illtyd, the Patron Saint. The 1830 Gastineau print shows the shaft without its canopied head.
Included as a medieval cross with additional historic interest as a memorial to WWI.
Other nearby listed buildings