History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Telephone Call-box on Village Green

A Grade II Listed Building in Wenvoe, Vale of Glamorgan

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4467 / 51°26'47"N

Longitude: -3.2646 / 3°15'52"W

OS Eastings: 312214

OS Northings: 172721

OS Grid: ST122727

Mapcode National: GBR HT.N3K0

Mapcode Global: VH6FC.CWHW

Entry Name: Telephone Call-box on Village Green

Listing Date: 11 November 1988

Last Amended: 10 October 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 13429

Building Class: Communications

Location: Beside pathway in open ground close to boundary wall at south end of village green; Churchyard opposite. Old Port Road along E side.

County: Vale of Glamorgan

Community: Wenvoe (Gwenfô)

Community: Wenvoe

Built-Up Area: Wenvoe

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Saint Nicholas

History

Designed by Giles Gilbert Scott, architect of London. This design was introduced by GPO in 1936, this example installed after 1952. Embossed foundry plate: Carron Company Stirlingshire.

Exterior

K6 type square red kiosk of cast-iron construction to the standard design. Domed roof with 4 lunettes containing Queen Elizabeth II crowns over red lettered opals and ventilation slits. Raised surrounds to door and sides with marginal glazing bars in horizontal panels. Blank rear, moulded plinth.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its heritage location within the Conservation Area and for group value with the church.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II* Church of St Mary
    In the centre of Wenvoe village, fronting the main thoroughfare, in a roughly rectangular churchyard entered through a stone arch at NE.
  • II Wenvoe War Memorial
    In a small memorial park at the centre of Wenvoe village on the W side of Old Port Road, c80m to the north of the St Mary’s church and just to the south of the Wenvoe Arms.
  • II The Old Rectory
    In the centre of Wenvoe village, adjacent to the church, set back from the road within gardens, entered through a recessed bay to the front wall.
  • II* Church of St Bleiddian
    In the centre of St Lythans hamlet, set back from the road, reached by a short track and surrounded by a roughly circular walled churchyard incorporating stone stiles.
  • II Former walled kitchen garden wall at Wenvoe Castle- W range
    This section of wall is opposite the main stable entrance.
  • II Former coach-house and stables at Wenvoe Castle
    The stable courtyard forms a large rectangle attached to the back of the former castle.
  • II Barn at Goldsland Farm
    At the centre of a farmyard complex situated some distance to W of Goldsland Farmhouse adjacent to Goldsland Brook.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.