History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former walled kitchen garden wall at Wenvoe Castle- W range

A Grade II Listed Building in Wenvoe, Vale of Glamorgan

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4344 / 51°26'3"N

Longitude: -3.2675 / 3°16'2"W

OS Eastings: 311989

OS Northings: 171360

OS Grid: ST119713

Mapcode National: GBR HT.NW9L

Mapcode Global: VH6FK.96ZR

Entry Name: Former walled kitchen garden wall at Wenvoe Castle- W range

Listing Date: 10 October 2002

Last Amended: 10 October 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 26994

Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces

Location: This section of wall is opposite the main stable entrance.

County: Vale of Glamorgan

Community: Wenvoe (Gwenfô)

Community: Wenvoe

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Barry

History

A walled garden was associated with the original C16-17 house under Edmund Thomas. Sir Edmund Thomas, third baronet, further developed this area between 1733 and 1767, and it was again remodelled during the occupancy of Birts and Jenners during C19, the original walled compartments being replaced by one large kitchen garden as depicted on the 1878 OS map. Some of the former kitchen garden buildings have been converted to housing.

Exterior

Wall of coursed rubble with flat coping with mostly brick inner face extending opposite stable entrance frontage. Some low blocked openings visible on inner face and one segmental brick arched doorway.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a historic part of the Castle complex, and for group value with the Stable Range which is immediately opposite.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Former coach-house and stables at Wenvoe Castle
    The stable courtyard forms a large rectangle attached to the back of the former castle.
  • II Grotto in Wenvoe Castle Park
    SW of the former castle in a tongue of woodland extending N from Bears Wood, close to the lake.
  • II Barn at Goldsland Farm
    At the centre of a farmyard complex situated some distance to W of Goldsland Farmhouse adjacent to Goldsland Brook.
  • II The Old Rectory
    In the centre of Wenvoe village, adjacent to the church, set back from the road within gardens, entered through a recessed bay to the front wall.
  • II* Church of St Mary
    In the centre of Wenvoe village, fronting the main thoroughfare, in a roughly rectangular churchyard entered through a stone arch at NE.
  • II Telephone Call-box on Village Green
    Beside pathway in open ground close to boundary wall at south end of village green; Churchyard opposite. Old Port Road along E side.
  • II Wenvoe War Memorial
    In a small memorial park at the centre of Wenvoe village on the W side of Old Port Road, c80m to the north of the St Mary’s church and just to the south of the Wenvoe Arms.
  • II* Church of St Bleiddian
    In the centre of St Lythans hamlet, set back from the road, reached by a short track and surrounded by a roughly circular walled churchyard incorporating stone stiles.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.