This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4568 / 51°27'24"N
Longitude: -3.1985 / 3°11'54"W
OS Eastings: 316822
OS Northings: 173772
OS Grid: ST168737
Mapcode National: GBR KCW.SQ
Mapcode Global: VH6FD.HNX2
Plus Code: 9C3RFR42+PH
Entry Name: Former Cardiff and District Western District Sewerage Pumping Station.
Listing Date: 19 May 1975
Last Amended: 23 January 2020
Source ID: 13775
Building Class: Water Supply and Drainage
Location: Set back from Penarth Road to NE of flyover.
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built in 1907-10 at a cost of £182,000 as a sewerage pumping station to service the western district of Cardiff. Designed by the Cardiff City Engineer W Harpur with a foundation stone laid 29 April 1907 by Alderman Mildon, chairman of the Cardiff Corporation public works committee in a ceremony attended by contractors, Lord Mayor W S Crossman and corporation officials.
It was constructed with engine room, boiler house, workshops, offices and stores and originally had a 125ft brick circular chimney stack. The pumping was carried out by 4 sets of Summers and Scott’s 3-crank compound direct acting steam engines, each capable of lifting 150,000 gallons per hour; 2 sets designed to cope with a normal flow of 50,000 gallons per hour and the other 2 sets assisted by vertical gas engines to cope with additional storm water. 4 Babcock and Wilcox water tube boilers provided the steam for the engines.
Converted for use as antiques warehouse, circa 1990.
Yellow brick with red brick dressings, banding and eaves cornice; stone kneelers and copings, slate roofs with glazed ridge ventilators, small pane metal glazing. Facing Penarth Road, main block has six round-headed windows with red brick arches. Thin pilasters flank the 3 right-hand window bays and are carried up above the eaves as chimneys. To R, lower block with gabled end. Below main block, modern extensions imitating its style and materials.
Left end wall has 1 large and 2 smaller round-headed windows. Above the large window is a lunette window with a pediment above this (with oculus), flanked by chimneys. Similar treatment to R end, but 2 windows with lunettes above doorway (L), and 2 windows (R). To rear, pair of attached blocks at right angle, in similar style, 5 blocked windows to NE; gables facing SE each have group of 4 windows at upper level. To SW, attached lower parallel range with 3 arched windows and red brick chimney, and lower block with 3 camber-headed windows.
1907 date stone on W corner of S elevation, inaccessible at inspection.
Main block has steel roof trusses, glazed brick dado, terrazzo floors; travelling crane. Rear blocks have steel roof trusses.
Listed as well-preserved industrial building with striking use of building materials.
Other nearby listed buildings