This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4742 / 51°28'27"N
Longitude: -3.4792 / 3°28'45"W
OS Eastings: 297359
OS Northings: 176062
OS Grid: SS973760
Mapcode National: GBR HJ.L9LH
Mapcode Global: VH5HS.N60Q
Entry Name: Lodge Cottage
Listing Date: 7 April 1989
Last Amended: 30 April 2004
Source ID: 13433
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At the south end of the village, at the end of the main drive to Penllyn Castle and opposite the church.
County: Vale of Glamorgan
Community: Penllyn (Pen-llin)
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Mid to late C19 (It is not shown on the tithe map of 1839, but is shown on 1st edition OS Map surveyed in 1875). A part of the improvements to Penllyn Castle and its surroundings which the Homfray family instigated between 1850 with the church and 1875 with the east tower on the castle.
Coursed squared rubble construction with plinth and freestone dressings; tiled roof with gable parapets and octagonal chimney stacks with stellar shaped caps, one pair midway down front (west) slope. Tudorbethan style lodge with main front facing west; single storey and attic. 3-bay front with tall gabled projection to centre including main entrance. Roof sweeps down low to right over narrow window; cross frame window to left. Two-light casement window to centre over 4-centred arch door with freestone surround, stepped to include heraldic emblem; corners splayed to ground floor with narrow windows and broad spur bases. The north gable end facing the drive has more markedly splayed corners with heavy wave moulding; cross frame window to centre; 2-light window above and diamond leaded glazed windows to the corners. At the rear, to the left, is a gable with 3-light ground floor window.
There is a fragmentary stone gable end, supposedly part of a medieval first floor hall, in the rear garden (RCAMHW MH22).
Interior not available at resurvey, but the previous list description reports a central staircase and a Bath stone chimneypiece, with deeply bracketed cornice, to the main left hand room.
Included for its special interest as part of a group of well designed Victorian estate buildings at the entrance to Penllyn Castle.
Other nearby listed buildings