History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old School House

A Grade II Listed Building in Penllyn, Vale of Glamorgan

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4748 / 51°28'29"N

Longitude: -3.4788 / 3°28'43"W

OS Eastings: 297394

OS Northings: 176131

OS Grid: SS973761

Mapcode National: GBR HJ.L9PK

Mapcode Global: VH5HS.N687

Entry Name: The Old School House

Listing Date: 30 April 2004

Last Amended: 30 April 2004

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 82693

Building Class: Education

Location: At the south end of the village of Penllyn facing the drive to Penllyn Castle but approached from the road on the north.

County: Vale of Glamorgan

Town: Cowbridge

Community: Penllyn (Pen-llin)

Community: Penllyn

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Cowbridge

History

Mid C19, it is not shown on the 1839 tithe map. A part of the improvements to Penllyn Castle and its surroundings which the Homfray family instigated between 1850 with the church and 1875 with the east tower on the castle. The main elevation faces south onto the castle drive and has been little altered; the rear elevation has had some C20 alteration.

Exterior

Built of local limestone rubble with ashlar dressings. Schoolroom with two storey master's house attached to left. Main three bay front facing the castle drive. Master's sitting room with mullion-and-transom window with diamond lattice casement to left, 2-light bedroom window above in plain bargeboarded gable. Gabled porch to centre with replacement door. Large gable to right with 3-light mullion-and-transom window with diamond lattice laights for the schoolroom, ventilator in the gable above. Two tall stacks with round shafts. The rear service quarters have been altered.

Interior

Interior not seen at resurvey.

Reasons for Listing

Included for its special interest as part of a group of well designed Victorian estate buildings at the entrance to Penllyn Castle.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Church of St. John the Evangelist
    At the south end of the village of Penllyn at the entrance to Penllyn Castle.
  • II Gatepiers, Gates and Boundary Walls at entrance to Penllyn Castle Main Drive
    At the south end of the village, immediately to west of Penllyn Church and Lodge Cottage.
  • II Penllyn Cottage
    At the south end of the village, at right angles to Lodge Cottage and opposite the church. Facing the main drive to Penllyn Castle.
  • II Lodge Cottage
    At the south end of the village, at the end of the main drive to Penllyn Castle and opposite the church.
  • II Great House
    At the south end of the village of Penllyn on the other side of the road from the entrance to Penllyn Castle.
  • II Village Farmhouse
    Towards the north end of the village of Penllyn; facing south at right angles to the road.
  • II Penllyn Castle
    At the south end of the village, down a long drive and set on the cliff above the valley.
  • II Easternmost Salmon Well
    One of a group of three wells to north of village of Penllyn, near the road junction to south of Penllyn Court with the minor roads. This well is the closest to the road.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.