History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Friars Point House

A Grade II Listed Building in Barry, Vale of Glamorgan

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3896 / 51°23'22"N

Longitude: -3.2813 / 3°16'52"W

OS Eastings: 310944

OS Northings: 166400

OS Grid: ST109664

Mapcode National: GBR HS.RRCM

Mapcode Global: VH6FR.2BPK

Entry Name: Friars Point House

Listing Date: 30 July 1991

Last Amended: 30 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 13455

Building Class: Domestic

Location: At the W end of Barry Island facing Friars Point with broad sea views. Set in its own grounds and reached along a tree-lined and gated drive.

County: Vale of Glamorgan

Community: Barry (Y Barri)

Community: Barry

Locality: Barry Island

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Barry

History

Circa 1900 remodelling of building of 1858, and subsequently remodelled. Originally built as Marine Hotel, by Francis Crawshay who bought Barry Island in 1856. Island bought 1873 by J D Traherne who enlarged house, and renamed it the Pier Hotel. Traherne's additions later demolished by Lord Windsor who took over house in 1894, and renamed it Friars Point House. House remodelled circa 1900 by Sir William Graham, especially interior; in 1911 he made further improvements to grounds.

Exterior

Overall character of circa 1900 remodelling in Arts and Crafts Jacobethan Style; 2-storeys. Stone built, part rendered, with slate roofs with whitewashed brick chimneys; snecked rubble with yellow brick quoins to ground floor and freestone dressings to painted pebbledash upper floor over stringcourse. Symmetrical 3-bay main front to S with gabled shallow wings; the central bay is spanned by slightly set back single storey porch with classical doorcase. The wings have gable parapets with deep kneelers ball finials, stone mullioned windows; 3-light to first floor with label arched over central light and4-light to ground floor with high transoms. Central gabled dormer with paired small-pane sashes; splayed oriel below with leaded and coloured glass; similarly glazed door to L opening onto verandah. Pilastered doorcase has segmental pediment with enriched plasterwork and panelled double doors; shouldered architraves and bracket sills to flanking horned sash windows. Either side of main first floor windows are projecting heavily weathered stones - possibly re-used medieval corbels. Left hand side has broad bay to ground floor and sash windows above; hipped roof and deeper eaves to L and stepped back across range beyond; single-storey rubble range attached at rear. Right hand side has splayed bay flanked on first floor by paired narrow windows; includes set back doorway and further splayed bay, attached low service range beyond.

Interior

Entrance is onto a galleried and wainscotted hall from which rises the staircase with tapered newels and turned balusters. Doorcases, panelled doors and variously enriched plaster ceilings throughout. Especially good timber and stone chimneypieces retained; that to hall has 3-arched overmantel and 4-centred arched fireplace; wainscotted dining room has full-height Art Nouveau example, curved outwards at the sides; Classical chimneypiece to drawing room with 3-well ceiling.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as good, locally important example of a small country house of the period retaining a well-preserved interior.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.