This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5979 / 51°35'52"N
Longitude: -3.2124 / 3°12'44"W
OS Eastings: 316122
OS Northings: 189481
OS Grid: ST161894
Mapcode National: GBR HW.BJPR
Mapcode Global: VH6DT.83MC
Plus Code: 9C3RHQXQ+53
Entry Name: Pandy Mawr Railway Arch
Listing Date: 9 January 1989
Last Amended: 8 February 1999
Source ID: 13575
Building Class: Transport
Location: The arch runs over the valley road leading N from Bedwas to Cwm y Bwch. Site of Bryngwyn Colliery to the SE.
Community: Bedwas, Trethomas and Machen (Bedwas, Tretomos a Machen)
Community: Bedwas, Trethomas and Machen
Locality: Pandy Mawr
Built-Up Area: Caerphilly
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Originally constructed for the Rumney Railway Co between 1824 and 1829. Converted from a tramroad by the Brecon and Merthyr Tydfil Junction Railway Co who opened a freight and passenger service in 1863. The style of the masonry suggests that it was rebuilt in the latter half of the C19, perhaps during 1863 to ease the curve of the new railway.
Single, long, narrow arch for roadway supporting former railway embankments which rise high above. Round-headed arch rings to each portal. Rock-faced masonry voussoirs with keystones. Snecked facings to spandrels. Flanking raking buttresses with flat stone copings. Snecked masonry, without breaks, to long interior. Wide embankments at various levels formerly carried tramroad and railway lines through the Rhymney Valley.
Listed as an unusual railway structure, the 1820s tramroad origins being of special interest.
Other nearby listed buildings