This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6467 / 51°38'48"N
Longitude: -3.2218 / 3°13'18"W
OS Eastings: 315560
OS Northings: 194920
OS Grid: ST155949
Mapcode National: GBR HW.7GBB
Mapcode Global: VH6DF.3WM0
Entry Name: Hengoed Viaduct
Listing Date: 31 July 1980
Last Amended: 10 September 1999
Source ID: 22325
Building Class: Transport
Location: A prominent landscape feature spanning the Rhymney valley between Maesycwmmer and Hengoed.
Community: Maesycwmmer (Maes-y-cwmwr)
Built-Up Area: Ystrad Mynach
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The Hengoed Viaduct was built as part of the Newport, Abergavenny and Hereford (Taff Vale Extension) Railway. The engineer was Charles Liddell. It was a standard gauge line linking Pontypool with the Taff Vale Railway at Quakers Yard, but was proposed as part of a strategic lateral route to Swansea. The railway was begun in 1847, was completed as far as Quakers Yard in 1858, and Swansea in 1864. The line was taken over by the GWR in 1865 and was rich in both passenger and freight traffic. It was closed over 100 years later in 1964.
The cross-valley line required substantial engineering works: 3 viaducts, 4 tunnels, embankments and steep gradients, all constructed under the railway engineer, Charles Liddell. The cast iron Crumlin Viaduct was a structure of major significance, but only the abutments survive. The engineer's drawing for the Hengoed Viaduct is dated 1857 and it was built by Messrs Rennie & Logan at a cost of £20,000. It was designed to be 130 feet (39.6 metres) high and it was more traditional in style than the Crumlin Viaduct using stone from the nearby Trecelyn quarries and local bricks. The smaller arch at the east end passed over the Brecon & Merthyr Railway.
High 16-arch viaduct, slightly curved in plan. Constructed of rock-faced, snecked Pennant sandstone. High round arches on imposts with large voussoirs. Soffits partly of red brick. Narrow, slightly splayed piers. String course and shallow parapets with coping stones, some upright. Square piers to ends and flanking smaller E arch which is skewed.
Listed grade II* as a major monument of railway engineering on a strategic lateral route, in use for over 100 years and one of the oldest surviving viaducts of its type. Group value with the Woollen Mill which stands beneath.
Other nearby listed buildings