This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4855 / 51°29'7"N
Longitude: -3.1812 / 3°10'52"W
OS Eastings: 318075
OS Northings: 176943
OS Grid: ST180769
Mapcode National: GBR KHK.NG
Mapcode Global: VH6F6.TX2L
Entry Name: University Of Wales Registry, including forecourt walls and Dragon posts
Listing Date: 25 January 1966
Last Amended: 30 April 1999
Source ID: 13737
Building Class: Education
Location: Between Police HQ Building, and Former Glamorgan County Hall.
Community: Castle (Castell)
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
1903-1904. By H W Wills & Anderson. Extended to rear, 1933 by T Alwyn Lloyd, architect. Welsh dragons to posts at front by Goscombe John
Portland Stone in classical style; small-pane glazing, sashes to main floor. Single storey plus basement and attic. Central (recessed) entrance block with coupled Ionic columns with segmental pediment with one window either side; cartouches at attic level. To either side of central block a wing of three bays; rectangular windows with moulded architraves; above cornice, attic has bull's eye windows. Basment has horizontal rustication and segmental headed windows. Flight of steps to centre entrance. Returns of 3 windows. To rear, 2-storey extension in rock-faced Pennant stone. Three bays of 3 windows (12-pane sash glazing); Portland stone architraves, cornices, pilasters.
In front of entrance, forecourt with, at each end, 3 small stone obelisks on ashlar plinths. To front of forecourt, row of 10 iron posts with dragon finials by Goscombe John.
Rear of entrance hall opened up with 2 Doric columns, and corridor curves round U-plan courtyard. Courtyard elevations as walls of extension; niche in end wall; steps down to garden.
Attractive classical building, amongst earliest of buildings in Cathays Park.
Group value with other listed buildings in Cathays Park.
Other nearby listed buildings