This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4838 / 51°29'1"N
Longitude: -3.1514 / 3°9'4"W
OS Eastings: 320146
OS Northings: 176720
OS Grid: ST201767
Mapcode National: GBR KQL.B2
Mapcode Global: VH6F7.BYBX
Entry Name: Church of St Saviour
Listing Date: 12 February 1952
Last Amended: 8 April 1997
Source ID: 13808
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On corner with Carlisle Street, set back from Splott Road, behind railed forecourt with war memorial cross.
Community: Splott (Y Sblot)
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
1887-8, by G F Bodley and T Garner, architects. Influenced by design of C15 church of St Mary's, Tenby (but without spire). South aisle added 1894. Restored by George Pace 1961, including subdivision of nave into hall.
Church in pink-grey Sweldon stone with bathstone dressings, slate roofs. Early Perpendicular window tracery. Low nave flanked by aisles forming 3 conjoined gables W. Bell-cote over W gable end of nave, which has 3-light Perpendicular window, and simple Gothic doorway. South-West porch with W doorway, and 2 entrance doorways to church. Nave articulated from aisles by stepped buttresses, aisles have 2-light windows, N aisle also has Gothic doorway. North elevation of 9 bays articulated by flat buttresses, NW window of 2 lights, then 4 bays of single lights, then 3 bays of 2-lights and one of 3-lights to NE chapel.
West elevation has 3 gables; 5-light window to chancel, window of 3 cusped lights to S return of chancel; S aisle gable set back over flat-roofed vestry; 3-light windows to aisle gables.
5 bay nave and 3 bay chancel, of similar height; 2 side aisles each with chapel at east end, parallel to chancel. Boarded wagon roofs, painted to nave and aisles.
Nave arcade with low pointed arches, 4 shafts and 4 hollows (simplified capitals to S aisle), continuously moulded arches between chancel and chapels, chancel arch with flanking shafts; flight of steps to high altar with wooden reredos and doorways to vestry behind. Three arches to chancel sides giving onto chapels.
Painted wooden screen to S aisle chapel which has altar with angels on flanking shafts. Painted and gilded organ case in chancel (by Bodley). At W end, nave subdivided into hall by Screen in Bodley style, hall top-lit taking light from W window. Stained glass in E window 1898, by Burlison & Grylls (to Bodley's designs), in S aisle St Germain and St Margaret by same team; in N chapel (E window) by Geoffrey Webb; in N aisle, 2 windows by Roper (1963). Octagonal stone font.
Listed as largely unaltered example of work of Bodley, one of most important C19 church architects.
Other nearby listed buildings