This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4821 / 51°28'55"N
Longitude: -3.1479 / 3°8'52"W
OS Eastings: 320387
OS Northings: 176532
OS Grid: ST203765
Mapcode National: GBR KRL.3N
Mapcode Global: VH6FF.D06M
Plus Code: 9C3RFVJ2+RV
Entry Name: St.Saviours Vicarage (Including Cottage attached to SE) Splott Road.
Listing Date: 24 June 1992
Last Amended: 8 April 1997
Source ID: 14129
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Near SE end of Splott Road. Set at a skewed angle to the road, within rubble walled grounds bordered by Splott Road, Courtenay Road, and Farmville Road.
Community: Splott (Y Sblot)
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Formerly the farmhouse to lower Splott Farm which is mentioned in a document of 1740 relating to the manor of Llandaff. Completely remodelled in mid to late C19 and converted in 1914 into the vicarage of St Saviour's Church.
Two storey villa with scribed render elevations and hipped slate roof with overanging boarded eaves and red brick chimney stacks. Three window main elevations with painted plinth, deep band course to middle, and similar band to eaves; unhorned sash windows with glazing bars creating broader central panes. The main front faces Courtenay Road with added flat-roofed porch across the left hand part; includes paired round-headed windows and 4-centred dressed stone arch doorway to the end, behind which is the earlier half-glazed entrance. Splayed ground floor bay to Splott Road front; offset openings to 5-window garden front to NE and 2-windows at rear face down Splott Road. Former Dairy Cottage attached and stepped down beyond with frontage to Splott Road retaining original windows; porch and end chimney; modern windows to rear.
Mid-to-late C19 staircase opposite entrance with S-shaped tread ends and scrolled newel.
Listed as a stylistically distinctive building for this area of largely late C19 buildings, and for its importance to the history of Splott with its origins in pre-industrial Cardiff.
Other nearby listed buildings