This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4871 / 51°29'13"N
Longitude: -3.2679 / 3°16'4"W
OS Eastings: 312062
OS Northings: 177222
OS Grid: ST120772
Mapcode National: GBR HT.KGQT
Mapcode Global: VH6F5.9WRC
Entry Name: Eastern & Western Walls of Rose Garden at St Fagans Castle
Listing Date: 6 October 1977
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 13881
Building Class: Domestic
Location: One of the associated structures in the gardens of St Fagans Castle and part of the Museum of Welsh Life.
Community: St. Fagans (Sain Ffagan)
Community: St. Fagans
Locality: Museum of Welsh Life, St Fagans
Built-Up Area: St Fagans
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The western wall is probably C18 or earlier; the idea of a formal garden with parterres visible from the house windows is characteristic of the early C17. Before the C19, the northern part of the wall formed part of the eastern boundary to the castle grounds. The eastern wall is itself mid/late C19 in its present form. The 1855 plan shows a house in the rose garden enclosure and confirms that the southern part of the wall at least dates from after that. The enclosure was taken into the gardens in 1857 but was not laid out until 1890-1900. The garden was extensively altered in 1947 with the new entrance gateway in the west wall, but the original design was recreated in 1998-9.
The eastern wall of the garden is also the eastern boundary wall of the castle grounds. Wall of stone with embattled parapet. This is continous with the boundary wall to the south which incorporates the main entrance to St. Fagans Castle and then extends as far south as the entrance to the stables. To the north, the wall extends as far as the northern tip of the rose garden which is by the entrance to the grounds opposite the Plymouth Arms. At the north end of the rose garden the wall attains a thickness of about two feet and turns at right angles for a short distance towards the west. In the southern part of the wall there is a pair of very fine wrought iron gates with overthrow, apparently of Italian workmanship and dating from about 1900 and bearing a coronet and the motto 'Avise la fine'. Before the gates on the west side there is a flight of eleven shallow steps bounded by stone balustrades.
Included as one of the structures associated with the gardens and estate of St. Fagans Castle.
Other nearby listed buildings