This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5258 / 51°31'32"N
Longitude: -3.112 / 3°6'43"W
OS Eastings: 322953
OS Northings: 181347
OS Grid: ST229813
Mapcode National: GBR J0.H5Y3
Mapcode Global: VH7BJ.0XP7
Plus Code: 9C3RGVGQ+86
Entry Name: Bluebell Inn PH
Listing Date: 6 October 1977
Last Amended: 31 August 2000
Source ID: 13940
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Facing the main thoroughfare and opposite the White Hart PH, part of the historic village centre.
Community: Old St. Mellons (Hen Laneirwg)
Community: Old St. Mellons
Locality: St Mellons
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Centre wing probably C18. Extended to left; the canopy and end windows are not shown on photo of c 1906 which also shows the main frontage of his wing of stone with brick dressings unrendered. At this time inn was The Blue Bell, with a large painted bell sign on rendered gable end at apex. Large barn visible behind wash-house wing. At listing in 1977, further ground floor windows were visible at front before canopy was filled in; further alterations to openings have also been made since. Welsh Sunday Closing Act did not apply to Monmouthshire prior to 1921 so inns at St Mellons did a good trade with visitors from Cardiff, the boundary between Monouthshire and Glamorgan being the nearby Rhymney River. Stable facilities were offered here and a pump is shown on OS map of 1880.
Long inn. Of scored-rendered stone with mainly Welsh slate roof, pantiles to unit at right end; brick corniced ridge and end stacks, one lateral to rear. Range comprises 3 wings: the main centre wing; stepped down to left an added wing with lower eaves; small uphill wing to right with steeper roof pitch, attached single storey gabled cross wing with roof of unequal pitch, possibly a former wash-house, and further hipped roof single storey wing to rear with curved wall. Main centre unit has on upper storey a 3/3 pane casement to left and small 4/4 pane casement to right. Ground floor frontage mostly masked by later lean-to but one 4-pane sash to right. To left (SW) the lower 2- storey wing, 3- window range of plastic 4-pane windows, replacements for the former sashes, with slightly cambered heads, one similar to ground floor, the rest masked by lean-to; canopy continues round gable end wall to left. To rear, 2 replaced 4-pane windows under eaves of main range, one casement and one sash to ground floor.
Interior on different levels was partly refurbished with light oak panelling popular between the wars; brick-arched fireplace.
Listed as a traditional inn on an important thoroughfare in a prominent position. Group value with the adjacent White Hart Inn, Kingdom Hall and the War Memorial.
Other nearby listed buildings