History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Aberavon Bridge (partly in Aberavon community)

A Grade II Listed Building in Port Talbot, Neath Port Talbot

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5966 / 51°35'47"N

Longitude: -3.7837 / 3°47'1"W

OS Eastings: 276547

OS Northings: 190142

OS Grid: SS765901

Mapcode National: GBR H3.BQYX

Mapcode Global: VH5H1.C4KD

Entry Name: Aberavon Bridge (partly in Aberavon community)

Listing Date: 29 August 1979

Last Amended: 28 April 2000

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 14173

Building Class: Transport

Location: The bridge crosses the River Afan and serves as the physical link between the shopping centres of Aberavon and Port Talbot, the former a development of the 1990s. The roadway is now pedestrianised.

County: Neath Port Talbot

Town: Port Talbot

Community: Port Talbot

Community: Port Talbot

Built-Up Area: Port Talbot

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Port Talbot

History

Built in 1842 to the design of William Kirkhouse, engineer of the Tennant Canal and author of an unexecuted plan to extend the canal to Aberavon. Later widened by half, probably in 1893 (lower date on keystone). The bridge formerly carried the A48 trunk road.

Exterior

Bridge of 3 low segmental arches with flat deck. Spandrels and parapets faced with coursed stone; voussoirs, pilasters and cutwaters of tooled dressed stone. The voussoirs are of pecked stone, the raised keystones with herring bone decoration. The central keystone on the S side bears the dates '1842' and '1893'. The pilasters rise from the triangular cutwaters to the tops of the parapets. String course to parapets which have flat stone coping. Straight abutments, mainly rebuilt.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a C19 bridge of fine architectural quality.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Aberavon Bridge
    The bridge crosses the River Afan and serves as the physical link between the shopping centres of Aberavon and Port Talbot, the former a development of the 1990s. The roadway is now pedestrianised.
  • II* Ebenezer Chapel
    In a prominent position in the square between the shopping centre and the Civic Centre, and backing onto the River Afan.
  • II Forecourt Walls, Railings and Gates to Ebenezer Chapel
    Bounding the forecourt to Ebenezer Chapel and facing W.
  • II Bethany Chapel
    In a prominent position in the centre of Port Talbot. The square is at the junction of Station Road and Forge Road.
  • II Afan Masonic Temple
    The temple fronts Forge Road; Tabernacle chapel adjoins on right.
  • II Tabernacle Chapel
    A narrow forecourt in front of the chapel faces the road and is bounded by stone gate piers and iron gates and railings.
  • II Church of St Mary
    Located in a quadrangular churchyard, encircled by the high-level A48. Just to the S of Aberavon shopping centre.
  • II Velindre Bridge
    Located at the SW corner of the settlement of Velindre and now carrying a path which runs parallel with Cwmavon Road.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.