History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Velindre Bridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Port Talbot, Neath Port Talbot

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5989 / 51°35'56"N

Longitude: -3.7805 / 3°46'49"W

OS Eastings: 276774

OS Northings: 190402

OS Grid: SS767904

Mapcode National: GBR H3.BKSN

Mapcode Global: VH5H1.F27L

Plus Code: 9C3RH6X9+HQ

Entry Name: Velindre Bridge

Listing Date: 28 April 2000

Last Amended: 28 April 2000

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 23250

Building Class: Transport

Location: Located at the SW corner of the settlement of Velindre and now carrying a path which runs parallel with Cwmavon Road.

County: Neath Port Talbot

Town: Port Talbot

Community: Port Talbot

Community: Port Talbot

Locality: Velindre

Built-Up Area: Port Talbot

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Port Talbot

History

Early C19 horse-drawn railway bridge. Associated with the development of industry in Cwmavon and providing an export route towards the docks which were established in Aberavon in 1837. Shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey of 1881 as the Cwmavon Tramway. It was widened to the E in the late C19 or early C20 to carry the double tracks of the Rhondda and Swansea Bay Railway.

Exterior

Four-bay viaduct with round arches. Of rubble stone to the W and snecked stone to the E. The 3 arches to the S span the River Afan, whilst that to the N passes over a narrow lane. The arches of the W side have narrow dressed voussoirs and low triangular cutwaters, stepped above. Rubble stone parapets, partially missing, and with no string course. The abutments are slightly splayed. In the S abutment is part of an infilled segmental arch, probably relating to an earlier bridge. The E side is of snecked rock-faced stone with matching voussoirs, a string course and parapets, which are partially missing. Also with low stepped cutwaters. Flat deck, now used as a foot and cycle path.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a rare survival of a horse-drawn tramway bridge associated with the industrialisation of the area.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II* Ebenezer Chapel
    In a prominent position in the square between the shopping centre and the Civic Centre, and backing onto the River Afan.
  • II Forecourt Walls, Railings and Gates to Ebenezer Chapel
    Bounding the forecourt to Ebenezer Chapel and facing W.
  • II Tabernacle Chapel
    A narrow forecourt in front of the chapel faces the road and is bounded by stone gate piers and iron gates and railings.
  • II Afan Masonic Temple
    The temple fronts Forge Road; Tabernacle chapel adjoins on right.
  • II Aberavon Bridge
    The bridge crosses the River Afan and serves as the physical link between the shopping centres of Aberavon and Port Talbot, the former a development of the 1990s. The roadway is now pedestrianised.
  • II Aberavon Bridge (partly in Aberavon community)
    The bridge crosses the River Afan and serves as the physical link between the shopping centres of Aberavon and Port Talbot, the former a development of the 1990s. The roadway is now pedestrianised.
  • II Bethany Chapel
    In a prominent position in the centre of Port Talbot. The square is at the junction of Station Road and Forge Road.
  • II Church of St Mary
    Located in a quadrangular churchyard, encircled by the high-level A48. Just to the S of Aberavon shopping centre.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.