History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Forecourt Walls, Railings and Gates to Ebenezer Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Port Talbot, Neath Port Talbot

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5971 / 51°35'49"N

Longitude: -3.7838 / 3°47'1"W

OS Eastings: 276540

OS Northings: 190207

OS Grid: SS765902

Mapcode National: GBR H3.BQYP

Mapcode Global: VH5H1.C3HY

Plus Code: 9C3RH6W8+VF

Entry Name: Forecourt Walls, Railings and Gates to Ebenezer Chapel

Listing Date: 31 January 2000

Last Amended: 31 January 2000

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 22805

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Bounding the forecourt to Ebenezer Chapel and facing W.

County: Neath Port Talbot

Town: Port Talbot

Community: Aberavon (Aberafan)

Community: Aberavon

Built-Up Area: Port Talbot

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Port Talbot

History

Contemporary with the rebuilding of Ebenezer Chapel in 1880, and probably also by George Morgan of Carmarthen.

Exterior

Centrally-placed ashlar gate piers with chamfered angles, bases with chamfered top edges and ornate capstones, flanked by low snecked walls with saddleback ashlar copings. These support short iron railings, the uprights with alternating fleur-de-lis and scrolled finials. Open arches with decorated cusped heads between uprights and below top rail. A frieze of small quatrefoils is set between double bottom rails, also with fleur-de-lis finials. Double iron gates to entrance in a similar style, with 3 bands of quatrefoils, the upper ones with finials. Ashlar end piers to match gate piers, with rubble stone walls returning to E and adjoining the chapel. Set in the N face of the S wall is an oval iron plaque inscribed 'ebenezer/ baptist church/ 1836.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for the fine ironwork.
Group value with Ebenezer Chapel.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II* Ebenezer Chapel
    In a prominent position in the square between the shopping centre and the Civic Centre, and backing onto the River Afan.
  • II Aberavon Bridge
    The bridge crosses the River Afan and serves as the physical link between the shopping centres of Aberavon and Port Talbot, the former a development of the 1990s. The roadway is now pedestrianised.
  • II Aberavon Bridge (partly in Aberavon community)
    The bridge crosses the River Afan and serves as the physical link between the shopping centres of Aberavon and Port Talbot, the former a development of the 1990s. The roadway is now pedestrianised.
  • II Afan Masonic Temple
    The temple fronts Forge Road; Tabernacle chapel adjoins on right.
  • II Bethany Chapel
    In a prominent position in the centre of Port Talbot. The square is at the junction of Station Road and Forge Road.
  • II Tabernacle Chapel
    A narrow forecourt in front of the chapel faces the road and is bounded by stone gate piers and iron gates and railings.
  • II Church of St Mary
    Located in a quadrangular churchyard, encircled by the high-level A48. Just to the S of Aberavon shopping centre.
  • II Velindre Bridge
    Located at the SW corner of the settlement of Velindre and now carrying a path which runs parallel with Cwmavon Road.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.