This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0449 / 52°2'41"N
Longitude: -4.5236 / 4°31'24"W
OS Eastings: 227034
OS Northings: 241503
OS Grid: SN270415
Mapcode National: GBR D5.F8MF
Mapcode Global: VH2MY.JVYS
Entry Name: Church of St Llawddog
Listing Date: 23 June 1967
Last Amended: 2 March 1994
Source ID: 14226
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on slope above main road some 100m SE of Cenarth Bridge.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
1868-72 Anglican parish church by Middleton and Goodman of Cheltenham. Grey squared stone with Bath stone dressings, and steep slate roofs. High Victorian Gothic with plate-traceried or early French Gothic detail. Nave with W bellcote, S porch and N vestry and five-sided apsed chancel. Plain Bath stone lancets with steeply sloping buttresses between to nave, ashlar plinth, W end clasping buttresses, W two similar lancets and big ashlar plate traceried rose with seven sexfoils and ornamented hoodmould. Ashlar coping and 2-bell bellcote with pointed arches and column shafts. S porch has big roll-moulded pointed arch with nailhead hoodmould and heavy shafts with stiff-leaf capitals. Similar detail to inner door. Stone seats and two side lancets. Some reset C18 and early C19 memorial slabs on wall. Gabled N vestry with circular external N stack. Chancel has ashlar corbel table, similar lancets, ashlar sill-course and more elaborate buttresses.
In the churchyard is the 'CURCAGNUS' stone, C5 or C6, originally at Llandeilo Llwydiarth, Pembrokeshire, and inscribed: 'CURCAGNI FILI ANDAGELL'.
Interior: Open rafter roof to nave, plastered walls, elaborate chancel arch with massive still-leaf corbels to column shafts with similar capitals. Arch has roll-mould and outer chamfer with leaf decoration. Hoodmould on leaf corbels. Encaustic tiled chancel.
Fittings: Caen stone pulpit of 1872 with marble shafts and carved apostle statue under canopy. Iron c1872 lectern. Simple timber altar rails. Fine C12 small bowl font from Llandysiliogogo, Cardiganshire, with serpentine decoration and crude corner faces, paired at NE angle. 1872 shaft. Fine 1872 stained glass to W rose, musician angels and lamb, and to three apse windows, attributed to Hardman (M Harrison). Stained glass in two W lancets of 1917 by R J Newbery. W end plain sarcophagus plaque to Harriette Brigstocke (d 1833).
Other nearby listed buildings