This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6962 / 51°41'46"N
Longitude: -4.9474 / 4°56'50"W
OS Eastings: 196406
OS Northings: 203835
OS Grid: SM964038
Mapcode National: GBR G7.WBYQ
Mapcode Global: VH1S0.6MCJ
Entry Name: North East Dockyard Tower
Listing Date: 18 February 1994
Last Amended: 18 February 1994
Source ID: 14354
Building Class: Defence
Location: Situated some 50m off foreshore, close to NE corner of dockyard.
Community: Pembroke Dock (Doc Penfro)
Community: Pembroke Dock
Built-Up Area: Pembroke Dock
1848-51 offshore defensive tower, built by J. and C. Rigby, contractors of London, for the Board of Ordnance; one of a pair with the smaller South West Tower at Fort Road. The towers were primarily designed to command the roads E and S of the dockyard.
Built to accommodate officers and 33 men, with basement stores, 12,500 gallon water tank and magazine for 198 barrels of powder. The main floor had two soldiers' rooms and officers quarters. The roof had 3 x 32-panel guns mounted on traversing platforms and four brass 12-panel howitzers. The armament appears to have been removed in 1881.
Limestone ashlar, basement and main storey plus top gun-platform. Trefoil plan with flat front to landward, curved ends and curved seaward side. Battered walls to heavy bull-nose moulding under high coped parapet. S side has centre parabolic arched recess breaking cornice with rusticated voussoirs. Six small musketry loops in parapet over. Within arch is granite rusticated doorway dated: 'VR 1851'; two loops each side and iron hoist to left. One window above with keystone. To left and right of arch, single loop, then curved ends each with three camber-headed, ashlar framed windows with smaller square openings above. Seaward side not inspected.
Scheduled Ancient Monument, Pe 332
An important example of Victorian military engineering.
Group value with other listed structures at Pembroke Dockyard.
Other nearby listed buildings