This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.047 / 52°2'49"N
Longitude: -4.6604 / 4°39'37"W
OS Eastings: 217661
OS Northings: 242072
OS Grid: SN176420
Mapcode National: GBR CZ.FBNV
Mapcode Global: VH2MW.5TL5
Entry Name: Church of Saint David
Listing Date: 16 January 1952
Last Amended: 15 April 1994
Source ID: 14533
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on W side of A478 some 800m S of Penybryn.
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
The church before restoration had 2 pointed Georgian sashes on S side, the big W buttress and the bellcote, and was said to have been rebuilt only 80 years before. The restoration plan proposed retaining the walls, W front, base of the buttress externally, the base of the chancel arch, and the font, and reusing the roof trusses. The contractors were Griffiths & Thomas of Cilgerran.
In the churchyard, standing stone (Scheduled Ancient Monument Pe 143) with small incised quatrefoil or round-armed cross set in a circle, and Ogham inscription interpreted as NEQA SAGROM MAQI MUCOI NECI.
Medieval origins, rebuilt 1812 and again 1886-7 by H Prothero of Middleton, Prothero and Philott, of Cheltenham. Small and low, in rubble stone with Doulting stone dressings and slate roofs. Nave and chancel with bellcote and 1887 N porch and N vestry. Coped shouldered gables. W end big centre buttress with 1887 moulded plinth and coping, and gabled bellcote with two arched openings. N porch with coped gable, Tudor-arched entry and 1887 plaque. One nave 3-light flat-headed Perp style window. Nave S has two similar 4-light windows, and chancel S one similar 3-light. Chancel has 2-light E window, flat-headed with ornate reticulated tracery, and N vestry. Two slate plaques inset into the S walls, one of 1815 the other of 1808.
C20 roughcast cladding, plain chancel arch. Plain wishbone-truss roofs, reused from previous church. Fittings all of 1887 including pews, panelled oak pulpit, tiled floors, with encaustic tiles in chancel, two high-backed chancel stalls given by the architect, H. Prothero, and lectern. Medieval square font with bead moulding to angles, the lower corners slightly rounded. Circular short shaft. No stained glass.
Other nearby listed buildings