This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0545 / 52°3'16"N
Longitude: -4.659 / 4°39'32"W
OS Eastings: 217788
OS Northings: 242904
OS Grid: SN177429
Mapcode National: GBR CZ.DR1X
Mapcode Global: VH2MW.6MBD
Entry Name: Penybryn Baptist Chapel
Listing Date: 15 April 1994
Last Amended: 15 April 1994
Source ID: 14527
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Situated on NE corner of crossroads at Penybryn on A478.
Exterior: 1869 Baptist Chapel in banded Cilgerran stone with slate roof and fretted bargeboards. Gable front with lunette plaque 'Penybryn Baptist chapel built in the year 1818 Rebuilt 1869'. Three first-floor arched windows, two ground-floor windows and centre door all with cambered heads. Cut stone voussoirs, slate sills, sashes with marginal glazing bars and double 2-panel doors with overlight. Raised band between floors. Two-storey two-window sides, with similar windows. One arched rear window.
Interior: Box pews, three-sided gallery with long horizontal panels, fluted iron columns made by T Thomas of Cardigan. Pulpit possibly later, recess behind with cornice.
Front spearhead railings with dog-bars, pair of wrought iron gates with scrolls. End stone piers with pyramid caps.
An attractive C19 chapel with unusual banded stonework. Similar to Ty-Rhos Chapel, Rhos Hill.
Other nearby listed buildings