This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3105 / 53°18'37"N
Longitude: -4.6361 / 4°38'10"W
OS Eastings: 224468
OS Northings: 382522
OS Grid: SH244825
Mapcode National: GBR GMXY.K48
Mapcode Global: WH31B.R1HY
Entry Name: Hyfrydle Chapel (including Forecourt Gates and Railings)
Listing Date: 25 July 1994
Last Amended: 25 July 1994
Source ID: 14738
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: In prominent position near top of Thomas Street, on corner of Ucheldre Avenue. Behind forecourt with stone piers and iron gates and railings (from Blackbridge Foundry, Holyhead) dated 1888.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Community: Holyhead (Caergybi)
Built-Up Area: Holyhead
Traditional County: Anglesey
Large chapel of 1886-88; builder William Williams and Son, of Tan Yr Efail, cost £3,511.
Cement rendered elevations (front painted), shallow cement architraves to doors and windows, slate roofs. Gabled entrance front faces road. Arcaded panelling in gable apex; central group of three round-arched windows; glory arch over. Advanced outer bays with balustraded parapet; paired round-arched first floor windows; pair square headed ground floor windows. Two pedimented shall porches; round arched entrance doorways, panelled 2-leaf doors. Three windows between porches. Side elevations of five bays, round arches to upper windows, square heads to ground floor, horned sash glazing with marginal bars.
To rear, at right angles, attached 2-storey schoolroom block. Gable to Ucheldre Chapel has chapel name in apex, and 3 windows to each floor; 5 windows to side elevation.
Good interior. Pine box pews. Balcony on 3 sides supported by classical fluted Corinthian columns, inlaid panels to balcony front, pine seating on balcony. Flat ceiling with elaborate central plaster rose surrounded by ring of smaller roses; panelling with ribs and more roses. Moulded architraves to windows. Fine set fawr enclosure; steps (turned newels and balusters, some inlaid) up to pulpit with birdseye maple panelling and small columns. To rear of set fawr, organ pipecase; console at ground level in front of set fawr. Rear block has first floor schoolroom and ground floor service rooms.
Included for contribution to townscape in conservation area, and impressive interior.
Other nearby listed buildings