This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5034 / 51°30'12"N
Longitude: -3.1745 / 3°10'28"W
OS Eastings: 318578
OS Northings: 178933
OS Grid: ST185789
Mapcode National: GBR KKC.50
Mapcode Global: VH6F6.XGNT
Entry Name: Footbridge over the Roath Brook near the Conservatory
Listing Date: 27 July 1994
Last Amended: 30 November 2001
Source ID: 14766
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Spanning the Roath Brook close to the SE corner of the Conservatory. Carries one of the transverse footpaths between Lake Road West and Lake Road East.
Locality: Roath Park
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Roath Park, one of the largest Victorian parks in S Wales, was made along the valley floor of the Roath Brook on land donated by the Marquess of Bute in 1887. It was opened in 1894 and laid out by William Harpur, borough engineer, and planted by the head gardener, William Wallace Pettigrew. An elongated lake occupies a large proportion of the park. It is dammed at the S end, beyond which are an arboretum and botanic gardens including a glasshouse. To the S of Eastern Avenue (in Plasnewydd community) are pleasure gardens and a recreation ground.
This cast-iron footbridge is one of 3 bridges located in the botanic garden and was manufactured by the Bristol Engineers, J Lysaght Ltd. It is probably contemporary with the creation of the park, c1894.
Small single-span footbridge with flat concrete deck on red brick abutments. Cast-iron balustrades with cusped round-arched openwork, intermediate piers and moulded handrails. Cast iron string course with ornamental band in relief. At each end of the balustrading are panelled and faceted piers with large scrolled brackets to the outer sides and pyramidal caps. Attached plain railings beyond.
Listed as one of the few original structure in Roath Park which contributes to its historic character.
Group value with 2 further footbridges and other historic features in the park.
Other nearby listed buildings