History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

War Memorial Cross

A Grade II Listed Building in Heath, Cardiff

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5044 / 51°30'15"N

Longitude: -3.1793 / 3°10'45"W

OS Eastings: 318247

OS Northings: 179045

OS Grid: ST182790

Mapcode National: GBR KJB.2N

Mapcode Global: VH6F6.VG32

Entry Name: War Memorial Cross

Listing Date: 18 July 2001

Last Amended: 18 July 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 25524

Building Class: Commemorative

Location: Located in the N extension to Cathays Cemetery, to the N of the A48. Reached from the W entrance gates by paths which lead SE. The cross faces S with war graves to its N.

County: Cardiff

Town: Cardiff

Community: Heath (Y Mynydd Bychan)

Community: Heath

Locality: Cathays Cemetery

Built-Up Area: Cardiff

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Cardiff

History

The War Graves Commission was formed in 1917 to establish graveyards for the fallen, and to commemorate Commonwealth soldiers who died without a known burial place. Three principal architects were appointed to the commission, Edwin Lutyens, Herbert Baker and Reginald Blomfield. The 'Cross of Sacrifice', as erected here, was to a design by Blomfield and is found at sites all over the world. The grave markers behind were mainly built to a standard specification, of Portland stone with cambered heads and standing 0.81m high. The information given on each marker includes regiment or service badge, name(s), age, date of death, and sometimes a cross. A few, in different styles, were provided by family members.

Exterior

War memorial cross of Portland stone with tapering shaft and chamfered angles; raised flat ends to arms and head. The front of the cross bears a sword, probably of bronze. Set on a high octagonal base on a larger octagonal plinth with overhanging capping. Surrounded by paving, also of octagonal form. The base has an inscription to the front 3 faces, which reads 'This cross of sacrifice is one in design and intention with those which have been set up in France and Belgium and other places throughout the world where our dead of the Great War are laid to rest'. 'Their name liveth for evermore'.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its social-historical interest as a 'Cross of Sacrifice' to a design by the War Graves Commission, and one of over 1000 throughout the world.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.