This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9528 / 51°57'9"N
Longitude: -3.5672 / 3°34'1"W
OS Eastings: 292397
OS Northings: 229413
OS Grid: SN923294
Mapcode National: GBR YF.M5V1
Mapcode Global: VH5FF.451V
Plus Code: 9C3RXC3M+44
Entry Name: Llwyncyntefin
Listing Date: 22 November 1973
Last Amended: 28 October 2005
Source ID: 14899
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated some 300m N of Pont Llwyncyntefin on E side of road to Pentre'rfelin.
Community: Maescar (Maes-car)
Built-Up Area: Sennybridge
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Gentry house built in 1634 by the Rev. Hugh Penry, whose arms are over the porch, parlour wing added to front left in early C18. A Hugh Penry (died 1775), Thomas Penry (d 1780) and Elizabeth Penry (died 1798) are buried at Defynnog. Later joined to the Abercamlais estate, and leased. Altered in earlier C20 possibly for the estate. Occupied by the Rev Arthur Williams of Abercamlais 1908-16, and in 1920s by J.B.Garsed-Price JP, High Sheriff 1909.
Hugh Penry was vicar of Llywel and Defynnog in 1617, related by marriage to the Howels of Llangammarch, one of whom was Bishop of Bristol, the other historiographer royal to Charles II. He is said to have amassed 'immense wealth' and bought the Llwyncyntefin estate. Theophilus Jones in 1800 said that it had been 'since altered, enlarged, repaired and amended'.
It is not clear where the service rooms were originally, but there may have been a range on the site of the present E range which looks C19. The big SW parlour block may be early C18. The stair in the W crosswing of the original house looks of c1700, and may have been originally smaller, with a parlour adjoining to N, replaced by the parlour in the SW wing.
House, purple rubble stone with slate roofs and large cut stone chimneys with diagonal shafts. Two storeys and attic. Original house comprises a gabled porch at the E end of a range running E-W with one original bay visible to left of porch and then a large C18 three-storey roughcast block with hipped roof has been added in front of the lower end. At the E end, to right of porch is a two-bay roughcast addition, apparently C19 with gables over the upper windows. Windows are mostly renewed early C20 oak mullion-and-transom with leaded lights.
The gabled porch has grey stone chamfered entry with segmental arch, large red sandstone plaque above with eight quarters to arms and date 1634 HP, first floor renewed oak mullioned window with leaded lights and stone shelf over, under a relieving arch, and attic grey stone cusped single light, perhaps medieval re-used. Overhanging gable verges. Within the porch is massive front door, studded plank with cover strips and long iron hinges. Inset smaller door in two centre planks with triangular head. Above door is a panel with fretted board inset. Door frame has double ovolo-mouldings. Stone flags, two side bances in arched recesses. Porch has first floor cross-window with oak lintel each side, under eaves. The bay to the left has been altered: the ground floor has early C20 four-light window with render above up to a rough arch of stone voussoirs, presumably a relieving arch. First floor has a painted timber C19 cross-window with small panes, straight joint of wider opening to right. Roof has a large and decaying early C20 flat dormer with oak mullion windows of 3 plus 3 lights. Roof has a pair of ashlar C19 diagonally-set corniced chimneys on ridge to right of porch, on party wall to C19 E addition. Rear of main house has a big lateral chimney, roughcast with triple diagonal shafts.
C18 SW addition is a single block of basement and three storeys with hipped roof splayed at eaves and big roughcast W side-wall chimney of three diagonal shafts. Rubble stone windowless E wall, painted roughcast S front and W side. Deep-coved eaves broken for top one of three front early C20 big four light-windows. Stone sills. W side has early C20 oak bay window cum porch, roughcast below, with leaded lights and flat roof. The porch section overlaps the side of a lower crosswing on the W end of the original range. One C20 long window breaking eaves to extreme right, over porch. N gable end has square window with rough dripstone or hoodmould each floor, set to right of centre: attic leaded single casement with dripstone only partly over, first floor 4-pane square casement with hoodmould and ground floor casement pair with dripstone. Large C20 metal window inserted to first floor left.
C19 E addition is painted roughcast, two-window range of large 4-pane sashes with stone sills, the upper two under gables. The E side is roughcast, gable end has ground floor horned 4-8-4-pane sash, and rear wing has two ashlar corniced stacks, one on ridge, one to N end. Similar gable over first-floor 4-pane sash, and two ground floor C20 windows. Rubble stone N gable has projecting narrow lower gabled tower with red brick surrounds to windows in gable and at first floor. Arched first floor window to right of tower with rock-faced stone voussoirs.
Across the back of the original house is an earlier C20 two-storey range of rubble stone with coped parapet and flat roof. Oak mullion leaded windows with stone voussoirs: two-light to first floor left, porch to ground floor left and three-light mullion-and-transom window to right. W return has similar three-light to ground floor, and 3-light mullioned window above. In angle to crosswing N gable of original house is a little sandstone ashlar oriel, one light with top-light, moulded stepped base.
Interior not available for inspection. The porch is recorded as giving entry to the main C17 hall with rear door opposite. Hall has late C17 plain plasterwork between the beams and lateral fireplace on back wall. At W end is doorway to steps up to crosswing with staircase in SW corner and a door through to C18 parlour in added SW wing. This has one beam and fireplace on W wall. There is a large cellar beneath. The staircase is said to have a character of c1700.
Graded II* for its exceptional interest as a substantial gentry house of 1634 with lateral chimney to hall.
Other nearby listed buildings