This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.947 / 51°56'49"N
Longitude: -3.5691 / 3°34'8"W
OS Eastings: 292249
OS Northings: 228779
OS Grid: SN922287
Mapcode National: GBR YF.MKBK
Mapcode Global: VH5FF.3B07
Entry Name: The former Drug Stores
Listing Date: 28 October 2005
Last Amended: 28 October 2005
Source ID: 86926
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated on S side of A40 just SW of the Usk & Railway Inn.
Community: Maescar (Maes-car)
Built-Up Area: Sennybridge
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Former shop built c1898 as an agricultural seed store and chemists for John Parry of Talgarth, run by his nephew W.J. Davies. The shop had flats above, with five families there until 1926 when bought out by W.J. Davies, died 1958.
Former shop and house above, squared grey rubble stone with blue brick dressings and slate roof overhanging at eaves. Yellow and blue brick end chimneys. Three-storey, four-bay front with centre two bays close-spaced. Cambered headed windows to upper floors in brick surrounds with slate sills. horned 6-pane sashes, the outer panes narrow. Ground floor has a timber lintel right across, over a similar sash with brick sides to right. Adjoining is tall doorway with big consoles framing a fascia on line of timber lintel, with thin cornice over. Four-panel door with big overlight. The left two bays have shopfront framed by piers with console brackets similar to those on doorway, fascia between with blind-box over. Fascia is painted with 'W.J. Davies & Sons' between 'Drug' and 'Stores'. Shop windows have grey stone below, a basement cambered-headed entry below left window. Windows each have two long panes to front and one canted inward to recessed shop door. Panes have cambered-headed tops. Double half-glazed shop door with overlight. Broad flight of stone steps to right of basement entry extending as far as house door. Small iron railings on low retaining wall to garden in front of right window. Windowless gable ends. Large rear wing.
Interior not inspected.
Included for its special historic interest as an unaltered late Victorian house with rare example of an original shop-front.
Other nearby listed buildings