This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0118 / 52°0'42"N
Longitude: -4.8869 / 4°53'13"W
OS Eastings: 201972
OS Northings: 238758
OS Grid: SN019387
Mapcode National: GBR CP.HGGF
Mapcode Global: VH1QH.7PTL
Plus Code: 9C4Q2467+P6
Entry Name: Gedeon Independent Chapel
Listing Date: 17 November 1994
Last Amended: 17 November 1994
Source ID: 14938
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on bank above main road, facing W, opposite land Cwm-yr-Eglwys.
Community: Dinas Cross (Dinas)
Community: Dinas Cross
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
1830 chapel built for the Rev. T. Jones of Ebeneser, Newport, on land leased from T. James of Caerleon, Fishguard, and improved after 1843 during the ministry of the Rev. J. Davies.
Rendered with slate roof and paired brackets to eaves. Lateral facade to E with two large cambered-headed 24-pane windows and outer 4-panel flush-panelled doors. Centre eroded plaque: 'Gedeon erected AD 1830 TJ VDN Hosanna Alleluia'. S end horned 12-pane gallery light, and rubble stone outbuilding with door and 9-pane casement. 2 large cambered-headed 24-pane windows to rear. N end vestry addition dated 1930, roughcast with N stack.
Apparently all earlier C19, grained painted woodwork, box pews on sloping floor, simple panel-fronted pulpit and seat-back behind with half-columns and arch also in grained wood. Five sided gallery on two grained wood columns with, set back, two thin iron posts and two square timber posts. Panelled gallery front with railing over on stick balusters. Centre clock marked 'Owen, Haverfordwest'. Flat ceiling with plain roundel.
A good example of an earlier C19 chapel interior, which may be of 1830 but is possibly later as the gallery crossed the long rear windows. During the ministry of the Rev. J Davies, from 1843, the chapel was improved 'Yn ystod tymhor ei weinidogaeth ef..........gwnaed gwelliantau ar y capel..' but the works done are not specified.
Other nearby listed buildings