This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0254 / 52°1'31"N
Longitude: -4.5837 / 4°35'1"W
OS Eastings: 222835
OS Northings: 239481
OS Grid: SN228394
Mapcode National: GBR D2.GKPT
Mapcode Global: VH2N3.HCN5
Plus Code: 9C4Q2CG8+5G
Entry Name: Capel Newydd
Listing Date: 24 November 1994
Last Amended: 24 November 1994
Source ID: 15134
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in centre of Newchapel, on N side of B 4332.
Locality: Newchapel/Capel Newydd
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
1848 Calvinistic Methodist chapel, replacing one of 1763. This was one of the earliest Methodist congregations in Pembrokeshire founded by Howel Davies.
1848 chapel in painted roughcast with slate roof and bracketted eaves. Lateral facade with two large centre arched windows and two outer ledged doors. C20 hardwood glazing with blue glass. Cut stone voussoirs to arches and cambered foor heads, also to surround of centre diamond plaque inscribed 'Capel Newydd gan y Trefnyddion Calfynaidd, Adailadwyd 1763, Ailadailadwyd 1848'. Rubble stone side and rear walls, originally two-storey, two-window each, but one bay each side obscured by later additions. Attached chapel house to left is not included in listing. C20 red-brick vestry attached to right.
Unaltered interior of 1848 with plain ceiling, three-sided gallery on 3x3 wooden columns, the bases raised above the pews. Gallery front has grained bracket cornice and plain panelling. Across entrance front is vestibule with two 15-pane windows and 4-panel doors with overlights and coloured glass margins under gallery ends. Grained bracket cornice above windows and turned-baluster rail to walkway connecting gallery ends. Box pews with painted panelling and grained ends, the two back rows stepped up. Raked pews in galleries. Plain panelled great seat and pulpit with curving steps each side, ramped rails and shallow curved pancelled pulpit front with low rails each side of taller book-rest.
Included, in spite of window alterations, because of unaltered interior of 1848.
Other nearby listed buildings