This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0248 / 52°1'29"N
Longitude: -4.5865 / 4°35'11"W
OS Eastings: 222636
OS Northings: 239427
OS Grid: SN226394
Mapcode National: GBR D2.GR02
Mapcode Global: VH2N3.GC4L
Entry Name: Attached Gatepier and Railings to No 2, Cilwendeg Lodge
Listing Date: 24 November 1994
Last Amended: 24 November 1994
Source ID: 15139
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated some 250m of Newchapel village, on S side of B 4332.
Locality: Newchapel/Capel Newydd
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Western lodge of a pair of earlier C19 gate lodges at the head of the former E drive to Cilwendeg, originally single-storey but raised a storey in early C20. Cilwendeg was built by Morgan Jones 1 (d 1826), and the lodges by his nephew Morgan Jones 11 (d 1840), they are marked on the 1843 Tithe Map.
No 2 Lodge: c.1835-40 gate lodge raised a storey c.1910, whitewashed stucco with slate gabled roof and red brick end stacks. Two storeys, double-fronted with ground floor original arched sash windows with Gothick glazing bars recessed in arches carried down to ground. Plinth shelf around, set back in window recesses. Centre taller arched doorway with radiating bar fanlight and 4-panel door. Fine broad front portico with two pairs of timber Roman Doric columns and entablature, the pedimental gable above with early C20 bargeboards. Slate paving. Similar window to ground floor N end. Added upper floor has two arched windows with horned sashes, the upper sash square but disguised by window frame. Gabled single storey rear.
Gatepier and railings: Attached is W half of semi-circular sweep of railings running from rear NW corner, spearhead rails with panelled Bath stone and pier with urn finial. From front NE corner a length of taller spearhead iron rails and then two openwork iron piers with cast-iron scrolls in panels, acroteria and urn finials. Between is pedestrian gate with dog-bars, and scrolled mid-rail.
Manordeifi Tithe Map 1843 in National Library of Wales.
Photograph of lodge pre-alteration in 1906 sale catalogue in possession A Bowen, Cilwendeg Farm.
Other nearby listed buildings