This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1413 / 53°8'28"N
Longitude: -3.1515 / 3°9'5"W
OS Eastings: 323069
OS Northings: 361076
OS Grid: SJ230610
Mapcode National: GBR 6Z.62Z8
Mapcode Global: WH77C.K9HP
Plus Code: 9C5R4RRX+G9
Entry Name: Attached Smithy
Listing Date: 24 February 1976
Last Amended: 12 December 1994
Source ID: 15232
Building Class: Industrial
Location: To the NW of the village centre, set back slightly from the street- line.
Traditional County: Flintshire
A late C18/early C19 2-storey, 2-window cottage and attached contemporary smithy. Rubble-built under a medium-pitched slate roof with plain eaves. The cottage has rubble garden walls, returned to the main face to the R of centre. C19 iron scrolled gate. Central entrance with topped-chamfered, slightly recessed late C19 door and doorcase. To the L a 2-part 12-pane fixed casement, near flush with thin glazing bars. Under the eaves 2 further, similar windows, though of sliding sash type. To the R of the entrance, beyond the return of the garden wall, a C20 boarded garage door, doubtless replacing a similar window. Plain brick gable chimney to L and similar one off- centre with simply moulded top. Cat-slide extension to rear with boarded doors and a contemporary fixed iron-framed, multi-pane window with intersecting tracery and ogee head, of the type seen at Nerquis Hall in the 1790s additions. Adjacent modern brick rendered toilet extension.
Stepped-up from the cottage, the smithy. Rubble and slate as before, though with brick S gable apex and rear elevation, this partly renewed. Small brick gable chimney to R and larger rear chimney. Large entrance to L with tooled sandstone lintel and modern boarded stable door. Loading bay above with boarded door and stone cill. To the R of the ground floor entrance a
contemporary slightly recessed 30-pane fixed iron casement with sandstone lintel and quoins to R reveal. Segmental-arched head. Segmental-arched external boarded shutter. Above this a near-flush 30-pane part-fixed iron casement. Similar (though replaced) window to ground floor N face with original one above. Modern, open entrances with concrete lintels to rear.
Furnaces on N and W (rear) walls with stepped brick hoods.
Included as a good example of a village smithy in a prominent location .
Other nearby listed buildings