This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1453 / 53°8'43"N
Longitude: -3.1547 / 3°9'16"W
OS Eastings: 322865
OS Northings: 361529
OS Grid: SJ228615
Mapcode National: GBR 6Z.5VK8
Mapcode Global: WH77C.H6ZL
Entry Name: Teh Barn
Listing Date: 12 December 1994
Last Amended: 12 December 1994
Source ID: 15238
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Located prominently on a bend on the lower Gwernymynydd-Nercwys road. Originally barns serving Plas Onn; recent conversion to modern use
Traditional County: Flintshire
2 intersecting barns forming an L around a cobbled and walled forecourt. The N range (to the R) is the earliest; this is late C16 or early C17 and the adjoining, and partly overlapping, W range is an early addition, probably mid C17. Rubble construction with steeply- pitched slate roofs with rubble parapets to gable ends. While the doors and windows are all modern, they mostly reflect pre-existing (C18-19) openings.
The N range is of 5 bays with original queen-post trusses. 3 tiers of ventilation slits to upper (W) end with 5 tiers to the road-facing E gable, all blocked. Here a projecting rubble plinth. Cart entrance to L, lowered and with modern glazed doors, though with contemporary exposed timber lintel still in place. Square window above this and a modern lateral chimney addition to the R. Further modern windows to the rear with a later single-storey lean-to to R, now a modern garage with shallow-pitched slate roof. The W range is of 4 bays with similar trusses and overlaps the last bay of the N range. 2 tiers of ventilation slits with 3 later window openings to first floor with exposed timber lintels and modern windows. Recessed entrance to L with lintel and stable door. 3 further modern windows to the R, originally entrances and all with lintels as before. Modern single- storey rubble extension to L with slate roof. Loading bay to S gable with near-flush timber surround. Further modern windows to the rear with a lateral chimney to the R. L of this a modern rubble porch extension with gabled parapet and slate roof.
Listed for its special interest as perhaps the earliest agricultural complex in the area, retaining much of its integrity.Located prominently on a bend on the lower Gwernymynydd-Nercwys road. Originally barns serving Plas Onn; recent conversion to modern use.
Other nearby listed buildings