This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7708 / 51°46'14"N
Longitude: -3.0961 / 3°5'45"W
OS Eastings: 324465
OS Northings: 208583
OS Grid: SO244085
Mapcode National: GBR F2.ZNN1
Mapcode Global: VH79C.9R2C
Entry Name: Zion Baptist Church
Listing Date: 9 February 1995
Last Amended: 9 February 1995
Source ID: 15302
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Community: Blaenavon (Blaenafon)
Locality: Forge Side
Built-Up Area: Blaenavon
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Situated on the north-west edge of the Forge Side residential area, set back from the road behind a stone wall.
History: Built in 1875 at a cost of ú650 to serve the growing population of Forge Side. The English Baptist Chapel on Broad Street was the mother church. In the mid 1880's a schoolroom was added. The materials for this were given gratis to the church by the Blaenavon Iron and Steel Company. It is a well preserved example typifying late C19 Valleys' chapel architecture.
Exterior: Constructed on a rectangular plan in rubble stone, built to courses, with brick dressings. The main gable facade has three bays, on one storey. A school room is to the rear. Main elevation is gable facade with stone plinth and brick quoins. All openings are dressed with brick and have semi-circular arch with brick keystone. The central doorway has a wooden panelled door set back. Above the door and on either side are three similar tall small pane sash windows, with angled stone sills and intersecting glazing bars. Above the upper window is a plaque. The side elevations are rendered and windows have modern glazing bars. Simple wooden barge-boards and pitched slate roof.
Interior: Original features include the pulpit with its pair of stairs, baptismal pool in front and wooden pews, no gallery.
Listed as a later 19th century chapel with well-preserved historic character.
Reference: Gwent County Record Office, D.2174.75, 'History of Zion Baptist Chapel, Forge Side'.
Other nearby listed buildings