This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7726 / 51°46'21"N
Longitude: -3.1046 / 3°6'16"W
OS Eastings: 323878
OS Northings: 208789
OS Grid: SO238087
Mapcode National: GBR F2.ZDK6
Mapcode Global: VH79C.4QK0
Entry Name: Deputies Lodge
Listing Date: 9 February 1995
Last Amended: 9 February 1995
Source ID: 15284
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated on the north-east side of the site, at right angles to the offices.
Community: Blaenavon (Blaenafon)
Locality: Big Pit Mining Museum
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Row of rooms built around 1920, housed a sick room and under-managers office. Big Pit was operated in connection with Blaenavon Ironworks, then by the National Coal Board from 1947 to 1980. Underground workings date from the early C19 but the shaft on this site was sunk in 1860. The present surface structures date from between c1900 and the 1970's. This piecemeal development was typical of mines in South Wales and it is now the most complete remaining, having been reopened as a museum in 1983.
Rectangular, four bay, one storey, brick building built in several phases. South-west elevation, has two large, rectangular windows and a small window in its extension; slate roof and yellow brick chimney stack. The south-east half of the building has a deeply overhanging corrugated-iron roof carried on cast-iron columns.
The north-west room has a fireplace and a built-in cupboard remaining. The middle room is called the 'Sick Room' and is fitted with Belfast sink. The south-east room is named the 'Under Managers Office' and retains its wooden desk.
Included for group value with other listed items at this exceptionally complete colliery site.
Other nearby listed buildings