This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1493 / 52°8'57"N
Longitude: -3.147 / 3°8'49"W
OS Eastings: 321618
OS Northings: 250733
OS Grid: SO216507
Mapcode National: GBR F0.6N1Z
Mapcode Global: VH6B4.D7PP
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 31 January 1995
Last Amended: 31 January 1995
Source ID: 15347
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Set above the road in a large, partly embanked enclosure with numerous chest tombs.
Community: Gladestry (Llanfair Llythynwg)
Traditional County: Radnorshire
Rebuilt 1856/7. The curate at the time (later Rector) was Revd. David Vaughan, friend of Revd. Francis Kilvert, who was a frequent visitor and who preached in the church on occasion.
Nave, small chancel, west tower with broach spire, south porch. Coursed rubble, slate roof, buttresses and copings. Wide lancet windows. Interior - tall narrow chancel arch, arched tower opening and choir gallery set over plaster corbelled heads. Similar corbels under feet of slender roof cross-braced trusses. Early monolithic font. C17 communion table, some C18 dado panelling. Memorial tablets to Beavans of Tyn-y-Cwm. C14 bells.
Included as a simple, unaltered church of mid C19 date having close historical associations with Rev. Francis Kilvert.
Other nearby listed buildings