History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ynysgain Fawr

A Grade II Listed Building in Criccieth (Cricieth), Gwynedd

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9142 / 52°54'51"N

Longitude: -4.2594 / 4°15'33"W

OS Eastings: 248173

OS Northings: 337584

OS Grid: SH481375

Mapcode National: GBR 5J.NHSH

Mapcode Global: WH44L.J0YR

Entry Name: Ynysgain Fawr

Listing Date: 12 December 1994

Last Amended: 12 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15380

Building Class: Domestic

Location: 750m approx. Down a lane which leaves the main Pwllheli Road on the edge of Llanystumdwy village, and close to the estuary of the River Dwfor.

County: Gwynedd

Community: Criccieth (Cricieth)

Community: Criccieth

Locality: Ynysgain

Traditional County: Caernarfonshire

Find accommodation in
Criccieth

History

The township of Ynysgain was in existence by 1532, and the estate of Ynysgain Fawr by 1614. The present house was probably built towards the end of the C18, and extended in the early C19 with the addition of a long rear wing.

Exterior

Main range faces NW, with later wing to SE. Well coursed and squared stone to main elevation, rougher stone in gable wall. Slate roof. 2 storeys, 3-window range forming a 2 unit plan unequally divided, with off-centre doorway. 12-pane sash windows with horns to ground floor, hornless 9-pane sashes above, and plank door with narrow overlight. Openings all have rough stone lintels. Long rear wing is a rougher stonework, and is also 2 storeyed, a 2-window range with 16-pane sashes on the inner (NE) face), and 4-pane sashes to SW. Single storeyed outbuilding adjoins the original range to the NE: Roughly coursed and squared rubble, well coursed in gable end, with graded slate roof and projecting kneelers to gable. Central doorway with rough stone lintel in the SE elevation facing the yard, with inserted window to its left, and ventilation slits to the right and in gable end.

Interior

The house has a small entrance and stair hall, and a 2-room plan, with large single room (now subdivided) in the rear wing.

Reasons for Listing

A largely unaltered example of a late C18-early C19 vernacular farmhouse.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Talarfor
    The house lies back from the main Criccieth to Pwllheli road, E of Llanystumdwy.
  • II Ynysgain ganol
    Ynysgain lies between the new by-pass road for Llanystumdwy and the sea, SE of the village. Ynysgain ganol farm lies on a farm road leading to where the Afon Dwyfor enters the sea.
  • II* Ty-newydd
    The house is reached from a drive off the road leading W of the village centre, past Lloyd George's grave.
  • II Bron-Eifion Hotel
    The hotel stands in its own grounds, on the E boundary of the community, adjoining Cricieth.
  • II Farm Buildings at Bron-Eifion Farm
    Bron-Eifion farm lies immediately N of the large country mansion built by J A Greaves. The cattle accommodation is the most northerly of three groups of farm buildings.
  • II The Feathers Inn
    The inn lies at the E end of the village, on the S side of the village street.
  • II Ty Canton
    The house stands at the end of a row of houses on the N side of the main street of the village.
  • II Tabernacl
    The Tabernacl, also called Capel Bach, lies back from the S side of the street past a row of two cottages set end-on to the road.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.