History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Llay Hall Collery Engine House

A Grade II Listed Building in Sydallt, Wrexham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0889 / 53°5'20"N

Longitude: -3.0233 / 3°1'23"W

OS Eastings: 331561

OS Northings: 355120

OS Grid: SJ315551

Mapcode National: GBR 74.9J3G

Mapcode Global: WH88R.JMJB

Plus Code: 9C5R3XQG+HM

Entry Name: Former Llay Hall Collery Engine House

Listing Date: 26 September 1994

Last Amended: 1 December 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15827

Building Class: Industrial

Location: Located in the group of former Llay Hall colliery buildings in use as an industrial estate east of Mold Road. The engine house is a large building at the middle of the group with a smaller wing attac

County: Wrexham

Community: Gwersyllt

Community: Gwersyllt

Locality: Sydallt

Built-Up Area: Sydallt

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Ffrith

History

Llay Hall Colliery operated from 1877 until 1948. It was sunk by the Llay Hall Coal, Iron and Fireclay Company and worked in association with a fire brick works on the opposite side of the River Alyn. It was nationalised in 1947, but closed soon afterwards, following a serious underground explosion. The buildings accommodated the winding engine for the No 1 shaft together with a fan engine and other equipment.

Exterior

The buildings are of red brick on a blue brick plinth, with a corrugated roof. The windows are round headed with blue brick arches and metal frames with concentrically and radially glazed fanlights. The more northerly part of the building has blue brick and terracotta string courses and eaves cornices. The larger part is a tall gabled structure oriented south-west to north-east. There are three low-level windows to the south-west gable and there were formerly five openings to each side elevation, though one on the north-west side has been replaced with a large sliding door. The roof appears to have been raised at some time and re-covered, and contains a longitudinal raised vent. Inside is a travelling crane by Herbert Morris Ltd. At the north-east is a small square block with a hipped slate roof and high brick parapets which may have been connected with the fan drift. This is adjoined by a wing at right angles oriented north-west to south-east, also with a hipped slate roof, which appears to have housed the fan engines.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as an unusually complete example of a colliery engine house of complex form, especially rare in North Wales, and for group value with other former colliery buildings nearby.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Former Llay Hall Colliery Chimney and Flue
    Located in the group of former Llay Hall Colliery buildings in use as an industrial estate east of Mold Road. The chimney is high on the slope to the west of the site, close to Mold Road.
  • II Former Llay Hall Colliery Washery Building
    Located in the group of former Llay Hall Colliery buildings in use as an industrial estate east of Mold Road. The former washery is a large building converted to industrial workshops at the south-east
  • II Former Llay Hall Colliery Workshops
    Located in the group of former Llay Hall Colliery buildings inuse as an industrial estate east of Mold Road. The workshops are on the north side of the complex and are in use as stores.
  • II Rock Cottage
    Above the road as it goes downhill towards the River Alyn at Cefn y Bedd.
  • II U- shaped Farmyard Ranges at Llay Hall Farm
    Reached from a farm track running S off the B5102, situated immediately to the W of Llay Hall Farm
  • II Llay Hall Farm
    Situated at the end of a farm track running S off the B5102, partially surrounded by the remains of a moat.
  • II Ffrwd Bridge
    Situated c0.75 km W of Sydallt where the B5102 crosses the River Alyn.
  • II Pavilion at Llay Miners Welfare Institute
    Situated on the N edge of the village immediately beyond the bowling greens at the rear of the Miners Welfare Institute. Playing fields behind.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.