This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0882 / 53°5'17"N
Longitude: -3.0239 / 3°1'26"W
OS Eastings: 331518
OS Northings: 355049
OS Grid: SJ315550
Mapcode National: GBR 74.9HXY
Mapcode Global: WH88R.JM7V
Entry Name: Former Llay Hall Colliery Chimney and Flue
Listing Date: 26 September 1994
Last Amended: 1 December 1995
Source ID: 15830
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Located in the group of former Llay Hall Colliery buildings in use as an industrial estate east of Mold Road. The chimney is high on the slope to the west of the site, close to Mold Road.
Built-Up Area: Sydallt
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The flue extends down the slope from the chimney and terminates at the side of the lane.
Llay Hall Colliery operated from 1877 until 1948. It was sunk by the Llay Hall Coal, Iron and Fireclay Company and worked in association with a fire brick works on the opposite side of the River Alyn. It was nationalised in 1947 but closed shortly afterwards, following a serious underground explosion. The chimney and flue serviced the steam boilers for the colliery and probably date from the 1890s.
The chimney is of square section in red brick, and tapers slightly to a height of approximately 25-30m. There are corbelled bands around the base and just below the top. The flue extends in a straight line for approximately 50m to the north, beginning just below ground level and then constructed on the surface following the line of the slope to the bottom. At the edge of the lane it passes through a stone cross-wall and comes to an end near the former position of the boilers. The flue is built with vertical side walls of red brick with a concrete slab top.
Listed as a particularly fine example of a colliery chimney with an unusually long approach flue. The chimney is a prominent local landmark and has group value with the associated former colliery buildings.
Other nearby listed buildings