History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hermon Congregational Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Painscastle, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1211 / 52°7'16"N

Longitude: -3.1906 / 3°11'26"W

OS Eastings: 318578

OS Northings: 247646

OS Grid: SO185476

Mapcode National: GBR YY.8H67

Mapcode Global: VH6B3.NY3B

Entry Name: Hermon Congregational Chapel

Listing Date: 9 March 1995

Last Amended: 9 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15909

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

County: Powys

Community: Painscastle (Castell-paen)

Community: Painscastle

Locality: Rhosgoch

Traditional County: Radnorshire

Find accommodation in
Rhos-gôch

Exterior

15909

Lies on north side of Newchurch to Painscastle road in Rhosgoch village.

1839. Painted rubble stone (iron sheeting at west end), slate roof with ridge cresting, gabled porch to south east corner, rear schoolroom under lean-to roof. Boarded porch door under fan light, blocked door to south west. Tall multi-pane windows under round heads, only the east window retains original glazing with fan head.

Interior: Originally a long wall chapel, refitted later C19, pulpit now on end wall. Two crown post trusses rising through boarded ceiling, match-boarded dado, double panelled doors to porch and schoolroom.

Low rubble forecourt wall enclosing burial ground with numerous headstones.

Included as an unusually attractice, small-scale chapel in a rural context.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Rhosgoch Mill
    Situated on the south side of Rhosgoch to Llandeilo Graban road at the west end of Rhosgoch village.
  • II Portway
    Situated on the NW side of Newchurch to Rhosgoch road, 3/4 mile north west of Rhosgoch village.
  • II Barn Range at the Great House
    Barn lying 91 metres NW of farmhouse.
  • II The Great House
    Isolated position 1.2 kilometres north west of Rhosgoch village.
  • II Black House Farmhouse
    Lies 1.2 kilometres south west of Bryngwyn, reached along by-roads to NW of Rhosgoch.
  • II Wern-Fawr Farmhouse
    Isolated position 3km north west of Clyro village. Reached off a lane east of the Clyro to Painscastle by-road.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.