History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Summer House at Y Graig

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll, Isle of Anglesey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2217 / 53°13'17"N

Longitude: -4.1988 / 4°11'55"W

OS Eastings: 253298

OS Northings: 371657

OS Grid: SH532716

Mapcode National: GBR 5M.10HK

Mapcode Global: WH546.G9T1

Entry Name: Summer House at Y Graig

Listing Date: 23 June 1994

Last Amended: 20 April 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15942

Building Class: Institutional

Location: Situated in the grounds of Y Graig close to the western boundary of the garden. Y Graig is in the centre of Llanfairpwll, uphill from the Holyhead Road.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Town: Llanfairpwllgwyngyll

Community: Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll

Community: Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll

Built-Up Area: Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll

Find accommodation in
Llanfairpwllgwyngyll

History

In 1915 the inaugural meeting of the first Women's Institute in the United Kingdom was held in this building, an event recorded on photograph. Six years later a new building was made available and the summerhouse was no longer used for meetings. The Women's Institute itself began in 1897 in Ontario and the movement was adopted in Britain because of the need for greater food production during the 1st World War.

Exterior

Single-storey garden building which is slate-hung on a timber-frame; grouted slate roof with projecting verges, 2 red clay vents in the ridge and a red brick chimney stack to W gable end. The front has 3-light transomed window to left and 3-bay tiled verandah to right, under which are the central half-glazed doors; renewed timber piers to front. Offset to rear and on the right gable end are similar-style cross-frame windows.

Interior

Tall, full-length room with coved raftered ceiling and timber chimney piece to left end with keystone to arched fireplace; timber floor.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its special historic interest as the building where, in 1915, the first Women's Institute in the United Kingdom was formed.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Column Cottage
    In an elevated position N of the A4080(T) Holyhead Road, c.50m N of the Anglesey Column.
  • II* Anglesey Column
    Prominently sited on a hill called Cerrig y Borth overlooking the Menai Strait, N of the A4080(T) Holyhead road, on the approach to Llanfairpwll.
  • II Pen Parc
    Sited at the top of a hill, on SE side of Lon Pant, immediately on the roadside opposite the junction with Lon Foel Graig.
  • II The Toll House
    Prominently sited at the junction of the A4080(T) Holyhead Road and the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road, to the E end of the village.
  • II Gate piers and gates at White Lodge
    Prominently located on the S side of the A4080(T), on the approach to the village of Llanfairpwll. White, painted iron gates alongside White Lodge, with drive leading down to Plas Llanfair.
  • II White Lodge
    Prominently located on the S side of the A4080(T), on the approach to the village of Llanfairpwll. Built on steeply sloping ground above Holyhead railway line. White, painted iron gates with drive le
  • II Tregarne
    Sited on the S side of A4080(T) Holyhead Road, close to the centre of the village, SW of the junior school.
  • II Rhos y Gad Chapel and schoolrooms.
    In a conspicuous location on the NW side of Ffordd Penmynydd, close to the centre of the village.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.