History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pen Parc

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll, Isle of Anglesey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2223 / 53°13'20"N

Longitude: -4.1965 / 4°11'47"W

OS Eastings: 253452

OS Northings: 371719

OS Grid: SH534717

Mapcode National: GBR 5M.1126

Mapcode Global: WH546.H8WL

Entry Name: Pen Parc

Listing Date: 30 January 1968

Last Amended: 20 April 1998

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 5489

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Sited at the top of a hill, on SE side of Lon Pant, immediately on the roadside opposite the junction with Lon Foel Graig.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Town: Llanfairpwllgwyngyll

Community: Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll

Community: Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll

Built-Up Area: Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll

Find accommodation in
Llanfairpwllgwyngyll

History

Probably late C18 or early C19 in origin, with later C19 alterations to the windows and chimneys. Called Hen Siop (Old Shop) in the 1841 census returns. Shown on the 25" O.S. map (1st Edition).

Exterior

Rectangular croglofft cottage with whitewashed rubble walls on boulder foundations. Grouted roof of old small slates with slate ridge tiles and copings, chimneys either end with later C19 octagonal shafts. Single storeyed, 2 unit plan. Doorway is set slightly off-centre to left (NE), with a single 4 pane sash window with slate sill either side. The loft was lit by 2 small fixed lights in SW gable, one of which is now blocked. Lean-to extension to rear (NE).

Interior

Interior not accessible, but said by the owner to contain an inglenook fireplace. The ground floor is divided by an inserted stone partition wall, and the croglofft is reached by a ladder.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as relatively unaltered croglofft cottage, retaining much of its original character as a small vernacular building, and predating most of the houses in the village which developed after the railway was built in 1848.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Column Cottage
    In an elevated position N of the A4080(T) Holyhead Road, c.50m N of the Anglesey Column.
  • II* Anglesey Column
    Prominently sited on a hill called Cerrig y Borth overlooking the Menai Strait, N of the A4080(T) Holyhead road, on the approach to Llanfairpwll.
  • II Summer House at Y Graig
    Situated in the grounds of Y Graig close to the western boundary of the garden. Y Graig is in the centre of Llanfairpwll, uphill from the Holyhead Road.
  • II Gate piers and gates at White Lodge
    Prominently located on the S side of the A4080(T), on the approach to the village of Llanfairpwll. White, painted iron gates alongside White Lodge, with drive leading down to Plas Llanfair.
  • II White Lodge
    Prominently located on the S side of the A4080(T), on the approach to the village of Llanfairpwll. Built on steeply sloping ground above Holyhead railway line. White, painted iron gates with drive le
  • II The Toll House
    Prominently sited at the junction of the A4080(T) Holyhead Road and the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road, to the E end of the village.
  • II Church of St. Mary, Llanfairpwll
    In an isolated location SE of Llanfairpwll, below the railway and A4080(T) the church overlooks the Menai Strait and is c250m W of the entrance to the Britannia Bridge.
  • II Tregarne
    Sited on the S side of A4080(T) Holyhead Road, close to the centre of the village, SW of the junior school.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.