History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Anglesey Column

A Grade II* Listed Building in Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll, Isle of Anglesey

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2208 / 53°13'15"N

Longitude: -4.1967 / 4°11'48"W

OS Eastings: 253432

OS Northings: 371563

OS Grid: SH534715

Mapcode National: GBR 5M.110H

Mapcode Global: WH546.H9SN

Entry Name: Anglesey Column

Listing Date: 5 February 1952

Last Amended: 21 April 1998

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 5432

Building Class: Commemorative

Location: Prominently sited on a hill called Cerrig y Borth overlooking the Menai Strait, N of the A4080(T) Holyhead road, on the approach to Llanfairpwll.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Town: Llanfairpwllgwyngyll

Community: Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll

Community: Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll

Built-Up Area: Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll

Find accommodation in
Llanfairpwllgwyngyll

History

Built to commemorate the military achievements of Henry William Paget of Plas Newydd (1768 - 1854), leader of the British Cavalry during many campaigns of the Napoleonic era; the most notable being as Second in Command to the Duke of Wellington at the Battle of Waterloo on 18th June 1815, for which the Prince Regent showed his appreciation by raising the then Earl of Uxbridge to be the first Marquess of Anglesey. In September 1815 a meeting was held in Beaumaris to consider how best to commemorate the deeds of the heroic Marquess and to show the county's appreciation of him. It was decided that a tower or obelisk be raised on Cerrig y Borth, an ancient common about to be enclosed, from which the monument would be visible from Arfon as well as Anglesey. On the first anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo, 18th June 1816, the foundation stone was laid by Paul Panton of Plas Gwyn. It was hoped that the last stone would be in place by the second anniversary but work was not completed until 8th September 1817. The column as it stands today was not completed until 1860, after the Marquess had died, when the brass sculpture was placed on the top. The architect of the column was Thomas Harrison of Chester and the sculptor of the statue, Matthew Noble.

Exterior

Greek Doric column in ashlar, built of grey marble quarried at Moelfre, surmounted by railed platform enclosing circular plinth on which stands a brass statue of the Marquess in naval uniform. On the foundation stone there is an inscription, which also reads in Welsh and Latin;

The inhabitants of the counties of Anglesey and Caernarvon have erected this column in grateful commemoration of the distinguished military achievements of their countryman HENRY WILLIAM, MARQUESS OF ANGLESEY the leader of the British Cavalry in Spain throughout the arduous Campaign of 1807 and Second in Command of the Armies confederated against France at the memorable battle of Waterloo on the 18th of June 1815. Thomas Harrison Architect.

Interior

The platform at the top of the column is reached by a spiral staircase lit by narrow lights.

Reasons for Listing

An impressive commemorative monument, notable both for the architectural quality and scale of the original Greek Doric obelisk, and for the fine figure which surmounts it. A well preserved and conspicuous landmark on the NW shore of the Menai Strait.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Column Cottage
    In an elevated position N of the A4080(T) Holyhead Road, c.50m N of the Anglesey Column.
  • II Pen Parc
    Sited at the top of a hill, on SE side of Lon Pant, immediately on the roadside opposite the junction with Lon Foel Graig.
  • II Summer House at Y Graig
    Situated in the grounds of Y Graig close to the western boundary of the garden. Y Graig is in the centre of Llanfairpwll, uphill from the Holyhead Road.
  • II Gate piers and gates at White Lodge
    Prominently located on the S side of the A4080(T), on the approach to the village of Llanfairpwll. White, painted iron gates alongside White Lodge, with drive leading down to Plas Llanfair.
  • II White Lodge
    Prominently located on the S side of the A4080(T), on the approach to the village of Llanfairpwll. Built on steeply sloping ground above Holyhead railway line. White, painted iron gates with drive le
  • II The Toll House
    Prominently sited at the junction of the A4080(T) Holyhead Road and the A4080 Brynsiencyn Road, to the E end of the village.
  • II Church of St. Mary, Llanfairpwll
    In an isolated location SE of Llanfairpwll, below the railway and A4080(T) the church overlooks the Menai Strait and is c250m W of the entrance to the Britannia Bridge.
  • II Britannia Bridge Memorial, Churchyard of Church of St. Mary, Llanfairpwll
    At the edge of the churchyard S of the church.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.