This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6503 / 52°39'1"N
Longitude: -3.1592 / 3°9'33"W
OS Eastings: 321672
OS Northings: 306474
OS Grid: SJ216064
Mapcode National: GBR 9Z.64VX
Mapcode Global: WH79P.FNV1
Entry Name: Raised Terrace to SE of Castle with steps into garden
Listing Date: 29 February 1996
Last Amended: 29 February 1996
Source ID: 16783
Building Class: Defence
Location: The raised terrace lies immediately S of the flight of steps leading from the Marquess Gate to the E entrance to the castle, and its S wall forms a re
Community: Welshpool (Y Trallwng)
Locality: Powis Castle
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
History: Both terrace and steps are characterised by the use of square balustrading - a detail also found in other features at Powis which can be dated to the late C17. It is probable that this terrace with the steps formed part of the late C17 layout both of the approach to the castle from the E, and of the garden terraces. It may therefore be the work of William Winde. Early illustrations of Powis (by Thomas Dineley, 1684, and Samuel and Nathaniel Buck, 1742) show a small pavilion towards the E end of the terrace, balustraded in similar fashion. This is thought to have been built as a small banqueting chamber and was probably part of the original scheme. It was still there at the end of the C18 (shown on T.F.Pritchard's plan of 1771), but was perhaps removed as part of the repairs and modifications carried out at the castle and its gardens in the early C19.
Description: Stone and brick revetment walls with squared balustraded parapets form a raised terrace. Stone steps with similar balustrading lead down from the E entrance to the castle. A rectangular square sundial stands towards the E of the terrace.
Listed as a highly significant element of the surviving late C17 layout of the castle with its gardens.
References: Richard Haslam, Powys, Buildings of Wales series, 1979, pp.189-192;
The National Trust, Powis Castle, 1988 and 1994.
Other nearby listed buildings