This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6579 / 51°39'28"N
Longitude: -4.7559 / 4°45'21"W
OS Eastings: 209472
OS Northings: 199054
OS Grid: SS094990
Mapcode National: GBR GD.9FJB
Mapcode Global: VH2PR.JL2D
Entry Name: Whitewell Ruins - Structure C
Listing Date: 26 April 1996
Last Amended: 26 April 1996
Source ID: 16923
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At the N side of the A4139 about 1 km E of Lydstep. The ruins are situated at the S of a caravan park behind Whitewell Farm.
Community: Penally (Penalun)
Locality: Whitewell Farm
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
History: The main building (A) is probably datable to the late C14 or C15. It has a vaulted extension of later date. The identity of its original owner has not been ascertained, but it appears to be an early manor house similar to Lydstep Palace. The function of the other buildings is unclear. In the 1601 survey there are two tenants: Whitewell was held by John Thomas, David Meredith and others; in 1609, Owen John Thomas; and in 1618, John Thomas and Davie Meredith.
Description: The Ancient Monument site at Whitewell contains remains of at least three mediaeval buildings and associated walls.
C. A gable wall of a large building facing E, standing about 10 m W of the main structure. Most of this building was lost under recent extensions of the nearby modern house.
There are related low walls partially surrounding the site in masonry of a similar character to the ruins. These and any parts of the mediaeval Whitewell buildings now outside the Ancient Monument boundary are nonetheless included in the listing.
Listed Grade I as an archaeologically important late mediaeval group of buildings, including one of exceptional size probably comparable with the Palace at Lydstep.
Ancient Monument no. Pe 137
References: RCAHM Inventory (1925), p. 291;
NBR site file incl WGT notes, 1964;
Dyfed Arch. Trust S&M PRN 4315.
Other nearby listed buildings