A Grade II Listed Building in Trefriw, Conwy
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Upload Photo »
Latitude: 53.145 / 53°8'42"N
Longitude: -3.8205 / 3°49'13"W
OS Eastings: 278337
OS Northings: 362422
OS Grid: SH783624
Mapcode National: GBR 63.5VVD
Mapcode Global: WH65X.86ZS
Plus Code: 9C5R45WH+2R
Entry Name: Milestone
Listing Date: 30 May 1996
Last Amended: 30 May 1996
Source ID: 16929
Building Class: Transport
Location: Located on the roadside, approximately 500m S of Trefriw between Pant-y-Carw cottage and Ysgubor Gerrig; in front of a low rubble wall.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Late C18 or early C19 milestone relating to the turnpike road first established in 1777. Slate-stone with simple arched top and inscribed: ` Conway 10' and beneath: `2 Llanrwst.'
Reasons for Listing
Included for its special historic interest as an early turnpike road milestone.
Other nearby listed buildings
Located at right-angles with the road at the southern approach of the town.
Located at the SE edge of the town on a hillside, backing onto the Coed y Wern; at the end of a short lane leading S from the Pont-y-Pandy.
The Old Rectory
Located towards the SE edge of the town; occupying a commanding hillside position S of the Afon Crafnant, close to the old Trefriw woollen mills.
Road bridge in the town centre, spanning the Afon Crafnant.
Set back from the main street in the town centre, partly obscured by later housing on the street-line in front.
On the street line in the town centre, just S of Llys Llewelyn and opposite the Trefriw Hall; set back slightly behind a low wall with simple C19 gates and iron railings.
Prominently sited in the town centre just S of the church of St. Mary; set back slightly from the road behind a low garden wall with simple spear-headed gates and railings.
On the street line, opposite the church of St. Mary.