This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6081 / 51°36'29"N
Longitude: -3.4075 / 3°24'26"W
OS Eastings: 302631
OS Northings: 190856
OS Grid: ST026908
Mapcode National: GBR HM.9X76
Mapcode Global: VH6DH.WVG3
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 1 August 1996
Last Amended: 1 August 1996
Source ID: 17110
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Church is situated in a prominent position on the hillside above the earlier settlement of Cymmer centred round the C18 chapel.
County: Rhondda Cynon Taff
Community: Cymmer (Y Cymer)
Built-Up Area: Porth
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built 1888-9 by the architect E M Bruce Vaughan of Cardiff on land of the Bedw Estate to serve population working at Cymmer Colliery Steam Coal Seams which was worked from 1877, the services originally alternated between English and Welsh language. The church was in the parish of Llantrisant until the new parish of Cymmer and Porth was created in 1894.
Early English style Gothic of rock-faced, occasionally snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings. A deep and wide single span roof, now of artificial slate and incorporating base of former fleche, covers nave, chancel, north and south aisles. Double cross gabled vestry wing at NE is 2 storey because ground level falls away and has enclosed stone flight of steps to door. W vestibule outshut has moulded pointed arched entrance doorways at each end. Mostly 2 or 3 light windows of simple lancets or geometric tracery interspersed with slim but deep buttresses to S and N; E and W windows have more decorative geometric tracery; small triple lancets in gable apexes. N churchyard boundary wall of rubble sandstone with decorative iron railings and gates with steps E and W'.
Unusual timber nave aisle arcades of painted wood comprising octagonal piers supporting transverse arches and elaborately pierced spandrels. Wide and high chancel arch has wooden 'Insole' screen of 1909 with heavily carved and painted bressumer. Unusual painted stone pulpit incorporating carved putti and saints in roundels. Stained glass includes windows by Kempe and Tower studio.
Listed for the special interest of the interior arcades and furnishings.
Other nearby listed buildings