This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6089 / 51°36'32"N
Longitude: -3.409 / 3°24'32"W
OS Eastings: 302524
OS Northings: 190947
OS Grid: ST025909
Mapcode National: GBR HM.9WRP
Mapcode Global: VH6DH.VTNH
Plus Code: 9C3RJH5R+H9
Entry Name: Cymmer Independent Chapel (also known as Hen Capel Y Cymmer)
Listing Date: 12 December 1993
Last Amended: 1 August 1996
Source ID: 13129
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Set in the slope of the main road through Cymmer as it descends north into Porth. At the roadside with narrow forecourt, red brick gate-piers and iron railings; large burial ground to right and rear
County: Rhondda Cynon Taff
Community: Cymmer (Y Cymer)
Built-Up Area: Porth
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built in 1834 to replace a previous chapel of 1743 which was founded by Rev Henry Davies and was the first Nonconformist chapel in the Rhondda. Unusually it was not rebuilt in later C19 and so retains its long-wall facade.
2-storey stone-built chapel with slate roof and stone end chimney stacks. The 4-window rubble main front with quoins is of traditional design, parallel to the road and with entrances either side of central windows, in contrast to the gable-fronted chapels that became standard from the mid C19 onwards. Round-headed windows (now boarded up) with dressed stone voussoirs and sills; the tall central windows flank the pulpit internally and the higher-set outer windows light the gallery; old photographs show that the windows had simple, square-pane glazing. Square-headed 9-panel doors with dressed stone lintels. Central stone date plaque at gallery level inscribed: 'Cymmer a Adeiladwyd ar y Flwyddyn 1743 ac a ail Adeiladwyd ar y Flwyddyn 1834'. 1-window gable ends, cement-rendered to right with horned sash window and brick dressings to left. Stone voussoirs to rear with further horned sash windows.
Simple rectangular interior has three-sided raked gallery with panelled fronts and chamfered timber piers. No lobby to front but separate door up to gallery. Between the main front windows is the pulpit behind which is an open-pedimented timber board with fluted pilasters; the platform has balustraded handrails. C19 pews with hinged backs.
Listed for its special interest as an historic South Wales Valleys chapel that is rare in having retained the earlier C19 character of its main front.
Other nearby listed buildings